Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gloria1234567 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2018, 07:12 AM
    Thank you in advance for taking the time to assist me.
    Thank you in advance for taking the time to assist me.

I am a student at Sts. Cyril and Methodius (Economy High School) in Ohrid, Republic of Macedonia and currently I am in 10thgrade. The things is that I have double citizenship. I am an american citizen but at present studying in Macedonia and the school I'm going to is a state school. Because I'm not in an international school where the school curriculum is on english language I was wondering: would the high school diploma I will get here be valid to american universities when applying. If so, do I have to additionally take the TOEFL test besides SAT for college admision? Here we have something called Matura which is exam you take with which you can go to university, so I was wondering can the universities on which I will be applying accept my Matura from here knowing that I am us citizen, or I will still need to take the SAT? And will I have the same benefits like other us citizens about using scholarships finishing the high school in here and getting into the university with my Matura from here if is accepted?
    Do I have to take the TOEFL test after finishing two years of us high school in the us,if I transfer to an american high school for the third and fourth year in the US? For example If I take the following eleventh and twelve grade from autumn 2018, would the two out of four years of american education be enough to prove my english language comprehension or I would still have to take a foreign language comprehension test like TOEFL because I don't have a complete american hight school education? And will the first and second year of my high school education from here will be significant also there? I have also heard about the community college option, and as I know there you can pursue your education after finishing high school and as I have read it turned out helpful for international student who wanted to start their first step towards us education but it also was helpful for them about learning the English and It helped them about the preparation for US university, while ,meanwhile they were earning associate degrees. I have read some where too, that if you earn an associate degree as a international student more precisely you continue with your education after finishing high school on some other educational institution such as college or university for the next two or more years where the whole educational process is in English the toefl might not be required,but I’m not sure if that’s about some particular university or if that’s the case with most of the universities. I also want to ask about the enrolling process,how it goes and what will I need to enroll and will my foreign high school diploma will be accepted when enrolling into community college? Will I need to take the toefl for enrolling into community college or after finishing the community college and transferring to the university? Will I need to take the SAT for the process about transferring to the university after community college or my Matura from here will be accepted as a us citizen? I would also want to ask about how the process in my case for enrolling in ESL program in the community colleges goes or IELP program in the universities and the requirements for enrolling? Can I enroll in the community college and instead of TOEFL enroll in esl program? What might requirements be for me to enroll into community college, or university? I do not have detailed information about how the whole process goes so every experience and information you can share will be much appreciated.Which option do you think is the better one given the facts? Timewise and moneywise, given the circumstances, any real life expirience information would be useful. Since my parents are curently living and working here and the incomes are tremendously different from those in the USA we would truly appreciate if you give us some data of the possible advantages and disadvantages, one scenario versus another or sugest someone with the same or a similar situation who has gone through the necessary process already, to guide me to the right path. Any contact would be appreciated.Any recommendations and directions about where I should ask and be informed about my entire process would also mean much to me, given the fact that there are many universities in America and all have specific requests and certain information.I am determined to achieve this goal I have set to myself and I believe whoever will give me the chance and the help I need won't be disapointed since I'm the best student at my school in my generation, a straight-A student.

I look forward to hearing from you.
    Have a nice day.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 24, 2018, 11:44 AM
    Your best course of action is to call/or write the schools you are interested in, and let them guide you through the process of evaluating your credentials and seeing what exactly you need and should do for each individual school or course work. Even moving from state to state the requirements can be vastly different let alone schools located in different countries. So I guess you start with a list of schools in whatever states and see what the schools process entails which you can probably do on line. I realize that's a lot of research into INDIVIDUAL schools and states but that's where you will find the most accurate information to evaluate for your goals. There are literally THOUSANDS of universities and colleges across the nation and many more community colleges and they all have their own individual standards.

Even if you were here in the states you would have to go through pretty much the same process, and for sure choosing the best fit for furthering your education is a huge job for any high school student. So get that list and start requesting those information packets, or go online and browse the places you feel would be best. You can use the areas of interest you want to pursue and go from there. For example computer technology or business, accounting or whatever you think you want to be. Medical technology is wide open here as are many engineering fields.

You seem to have a grasp on the challenge you face, so all that's left is the research, and homework to narrow things down. Grade 10 is a good time to begin your search for the next step after high school. Good luck to you.
    gloria1234567 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2018, 04:01 AM
    Thank you very much for the reply,it really means a lot! :)
    Have a nice day!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need suggestions on taking time with my ex [ 152 Answers ]

Multiple threads merged Please keep all questions regarding the same issue in the same thread We are in our latter thirtys, have a child together, live separate, email or call each other occasionally, and see each other almost every two weeks. She is very insecure, feels she's not in my...

Taking time apart [ 3 Answers ]

Hey Everyone, I'm Alex. Just joined the site. My girlfriend and I are "taking time apart" whatever that means. I still have the keys to her place though and she knows that I do. So does this mean that we are broken up for good or not? She said "we need time apart." I mean they are the keys...

Taking some time off. [ 8 Answers ]

Hi folks, Due to personal matters, and for reasons that I am not able to discuss at this time, I am taking a leave of absence from this board for a while. I've had a terrific time discussing various topics with all of you, from religion to gun control to politics. We live in interesting...

View more questions Search