Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LucasTBergman Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2018, 02:31 AM
    Bathroom Tile Stains
    Hey guys!

I recently moved to a new apartment, and I'm having bit a trouble with bathroom.
    Basically, after every shower the grouts between tiles (which are originally white) turns yellowish-orange. It look really ugly. I've been told this might be due to high concentration of certain metals in water.

Is there a way to somehow filter water or prevent staining?

I really hope you can help me.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2018, 07:12 PM
    Apartment management should be informed. Don't do anything in an apartment. Sounds like grout is not sealed. Yes, iron will stain but it must be very high if that is happening. Is your water orange?

Jul 21, 2018, 04:42 AM
    Nope. Water seems clear.

Of course, I talked to landlord, and he says it's because of old pipes in the in this part of town. On the other hand, my first neighbor says it's because of the old water pipes in our apartment complex and that he has had the same problem, and he dealt with it by covering grout with line marking paint for the roads.

I'm not sure how to proceed and what to do.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 21, 2018, 06:44 AM
    Maybe an inline shower head filter would work for you. I am sure your local water company would test your water samples, and then you could decide what cleaning or filtering products work best. Believe it or not some products leave a residue on some surfaces and that may be a thing to check. No telling what's in old pipes.

You have to test to find out.

Jul 23, 2018, 02:15 AM
    I'll probably by an inline shower head filter this week. I'll be sure to report if it has any effect.

Also, I'll have to check with other neighbors to discern which pipes are the problem (those in our building or all the pipes in this neighborhood).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bathroom Tile [ 2 Answers ]

Has anyone ever tried to carefully remove the 50's ugly bathroom wall tile and use the same base to install updated tile?. Not looking forward to ripping out all the tile and the inches of mortor behind them... it but it would save me some cash and time... is it even possible?

Removing urine stains from tile [ 2 Answers ]

Im at my wits ends. No matter what I try I can not remove the urine stain on my commercial tile left over from my dogs occasional accidents.confused: any help? After mopping it looks gone to only appear again after floor is dry...

Bathroom tile [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have removed the old shower tiles and the surface has the old thin set on the floor in spots. I also, took some of the mortar out with the old tiles. Do I need to resurface the floor with new mortar and fill in the low spots and smooth over before laying the new tiles? This is my first tiling...

Removing stains on floor tile grout [ 6 Answers ]

I am having a terrible time removing stains from grout that was here when we bought the house. It is in the kitchen and I have tried everything under the sun. Some one said vinegar and that didn't work. Ive also tried oxyclen and it didn't work either. I have tried clorox clean up and awesome. We...

Yellow stains on bathroom floor [ 1 Answers ]

I'm hoping that there is a simple way to find out if there are leaks under my bathroom floor. These yellow stains keep reappearring,no matter how many times I scrub them off. Also, there is a musty smell in the air and it is always VERY humid. I think perhaps this isn't healthy for me, as I have...

View more questions Search