Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    foreverromantic Posts: 177, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2018, 06:42 AM
    Guarded speech
    I sometimes have lunch with a lady in my building. She has always been "very guarded" about how she speaks to me. I do not know if she speaks this way to everyone, but it has become somewhat strange to me and I do not think I want to continue to see her. She is not a real close friend.
    I am not afraid at all to talk about myself or my past. If you have to "watch" every little thing you say, how can you have a normal conversation with that person?
    I had wonderful parents, a good job, good bosses, etc. and had a chance to do some traveling.
    Someone please let me know your thoughts on this.
    This lady has four grown children. When I asked her "if she had had a big wedding", she laughed at me!
    She will talk about fashions or her car, etc. Nothing related to her family or past.
    Thank You.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 17, 2018, 07:49 AM
    How long have you been interacting at this level? Is it just lunch meetings? How did this lunch meeting start? Some context for a timeline and some insights would surely help, but I can tell you that casual connections often stay that way until events happen that either help the bonding or distract from bonding. Meeting and making friends is not an instant thing in most cases, so do you somehow feel as though you bring more of yourself than she does?
    Oliver2011 Posts: 2,606, Reputation: 746
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2018, 08:29 AM
    Some people aren't as open as other people. Some people have a wall around them and some have a good reason to have a wall around them. Some people need to trust before they open up. All of us are different and that is okay. If it makes you uncomfortable then it's your choice not to be around her. What would bother me more is someone that is too open at the beginning. Having said that, I am not the most open person either and it suits me just fine.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2018, 02:03 PM
    "I am not afraid at all to talk about myself or my past."-That's you.
    "Nothing related to her family or past."- That's her. Some people have past experiences they don't want to discuss, simple as that.
    "I do not think I want to continue to see her"-answered your own question didn't you?.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Speech [ 5 Answers ]

My daughter is almost 13 months and she only says mamma and dadda. She also points a lot and tries to say what she is pointing at. Should I worry that mamma and dadda is all she is saying at the moment ? Kind regards, Natasha

Hi, how can I use Text-to-Speech to speech Arbic using VB.NET [ 0 Answers ]

Hi, how can I use Text-to-Speech to speech Arbic using VB.NET

A speech to be given on fashion for speech and drama grade five [ 1 Answers ]

My child has a project on fashion to do for speech and drama for grade 5 she has to also give a talk about fashion for 3 minutes she is twelve years old please help we don't know where to start

WAPO: Free speech ain't free speech [ 23 Answers ]

I was always under the impression that free speech was free speech, now we have things like "hate speech," "free speech zones," the UN's "you can't offend Islam speech," and as I gave an example of today - "politically correct speech." The Washington Post claims a distinction between Political...

Speech [ 3 Answers ]

I babysit my younger cousin, he is 8 yrs old and has a bad speech problem. He has been held back in kindergarten and they have tried to hold him back again in 1 st grade but his parents did not allow it. My 5 yr old can speak 100 times better than he does. I have noticed that no body takes time to...

View more questions Search