Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HanyWasHere Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2018, 10:15 AM
    Suitable Postgraduate
    Hello,

I recently graduated with a bachelor's in Petroleum Engineering and now am looking for a suitable master's degree. First of all due to the declining job market of petroleum engineering and the future market is going towards renewable energy and programming (well at least in my country (Egypt)) so I REALLY don't want to do a masters in petroleum engineering. So the problem is I LOVE programming but sadly as my course is far away from computer science as it could be, every university is declining my application. So please can you suggest any masters degree that can be suitable with petroleum engineering. P.s (doesn't have to be engineering and travelling is an option.

Thank you!
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 13, 2018, 01:50 PM
    Have you looked into a masters program in Environmental Science, or Natural Resource Management? Could not find any of these programs in Egypt, but a place to start.

Jul 14, 2018, 01:34 PM
    I will look into them as travelling is not a problem even when it comes to work, so thanks for the suggestions it's exactly what I need right now! :D
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2018, 05:23 PM
    You can never tell what may come into your future. Over your work lifetime, 40 + years or so, tremendous changes will occur. Here is my example. Graduated with a BS in Chemistry. Immediately started work at a major US chemical company and worked there for almost 10 years. Decided I didn't want to die in my white lab coat. Saw an ad for a large insurance company wanting a chemist. WHAT? They hired me to look at chemical claims and also visit insured chemical plants. After 4 years decided I had travelled too much with a young family. Went to night school and got an AA in Occupational Health, got hired to run the environmental division of another large Insurance company. Moved to Atlanta from Philadelphia and got a certificate in Pollution Control management which led to claims investigation of pollution damage. Transitioned into Pollution Risk Management and then went back to night school and received 2 more AA's, "Risk Management" and "Loss Control Management". For the last 13 years of employment, under the "Red" umbrella, I was one of the 3 Construction Engineering Risk Management personnel in GA servicing large construction accounts but was called upon to still do some chemical investigations. So, as you can see, You can never be sure exactly where things may lead you. Have been retired for 13 years BUT still keep busy with my small Handyman Business. Keeps me out of trouble and able to afford "toys". Keep the faith, learn all you can and you will be successful. Good Luck!

Jul 15, 2018, 12:56 AM
    Wow that's amazing! I am glad things are working out for you :D I did try different things but the problem currently is that to apply to any job I need experience and right now in the petroleum industry it is really hard to find a job vacancy for fresh grads. But reading what you said I think I will give it a try to look in other companies for a subsidiary division for people like me because all I need now is any type of work not going to be picky to be honest 👍😭
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 15, 2018, 09:15 AM
    That's a good attitude. Feed yourself while you gain experience, and get in a position to use it. I started at the bottom of many jobs before I finally graduated and could use what I learned to make a good living for my family. No masters degree, but I can get by in most situations, and have a bunch of credentials and work experiences on the resume, including chief cook and bottle washer and chauffeur for grand kids. The pay is lousy, but by far the most rewarding job I ever had.

Enjoy your journey where ever it leads.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

postgraduate programs in Sweden [ 1 Answers ]

I am a graduate of Dilla University with bachelor of Education degree in History field of study July 15 2009 with a CGPA of 2.89 until then, I have been working for 4 years in high school. My question is, how could I find scholarship programs closely or merely associated with the above...

Seeking job in USA [ postgraduate from India] [ 1 Answers ]

Hi friends, I am from India.I have Masters degree in Computers.I just came out from college life. How can I get a job in us.Is it possible for me to get a job as a fresher. If so kindly help me with your information.

View more questions Search