Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    diyer2009 Posts: 85, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2018, 03:35 PM
    Caulk, grout or both where shower floor meets walls?
    Hi all, I知 in the process of cleaning up some mildew in my shower. The shower was redone 10 years ago. Currently there is grout between the mosaic tile floor and the tile walls. Over time this developed cracks so I sealed it with silicone caulk. I致e removed the old silicone and want to get opinions on weather or not I need to clean out the grout and recaulk/silicone or just caulk over the now cleaned up grout? I知 asking because I知 not sure if what was done originally was the right method: grout only.

Thanks in advance for the help.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 6, 2018, 07:51 PM
    Some people say just grout, some just caulk tub wall / floor joint. I always grout, let sit a day, tape the joint in a nice straight line and then caulk. Wipe the joint and remove the tape in a few minutes.
    diyer2009 Posts: 85, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2018, 05:00 PM
    Hi and thanks for the reply. I知 going to go with caulk. Can you recommend what I should use? Preferably something I can get at Lowe痴 or Home Depot.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower floor grout and caulk replacement [ 1 Answers ]

The tile in my shower is the same tile as was installed all other areas of my house. The tiles are 13"x13" and the grout seams are approximately 1/2" wide. The grout is a rough, sandy-type texture. After the tile installation and prior to use, grout sealer was applied on three separate...

Caulk or grout first for tiles on shower walls [ 9 Answers ]

Hi guys... I'm back finishing the shower. I fell off a ladder but I'm better now. I was wondering whether it was better to caulk everything in the shower first and then grout the tiles. Seems it would keep the grout out of the joints I don't want grout in. I would wait for the caulk to cure before...

Caulk and grout in shower [ 1 Answers ]

I recently replaced some tiles on my shower floor and walls. I scraped out as much grout (it didn't look like caulk) as I could at the wall joints and the floor/wall joints, but didn't get most of it out. Then I put sanded grout in the joints and over the old grout, but after doing further reading...

View more questions Search