Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tincuprodeo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2018, 05:39 PM
    1979 Chevy 1/2 ton
    Dear Senior Member, I am having trouble with my 1979 Chevy 1/2 ton 350 pickup short box won't start shortly after shutdown Not always, but enough to strand me, thought it might be a tooth in the fly wheel missing because it clunks upon turning the key on, again, nothing seems consistent, and sometimes would start after rolling the truck forward. Now it seems the starter, but the starter isn't that old. Could I maybe have a battery too small for my pickup? My mechanic can't find anything wrong with it, the fly wheel is fine. The second time after having it in the garage of shutting it off, it wouldn't start. I'm not apologizing for being a woman but I have much to learn. In a previous post back when, you mentioned "failure of a component at the moment of shutdown"; which component?
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jul 24, 2018, 08:23 PM
    Definitely check to see if the battery is sufficient. Parts stores can line you up with a range of your truck's specs and compare your current battery.
    Also, have the starting system voltage drop checked to see if it's within normal range. This is best tested while in failure mode, you know...
    Heat build-up can cause some funny symptoms.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2018, 08:50 AM
    If it cranks but won’t start consistently, the Ignition Control Module (ICM) may be bad. It’s easy to replace. ICMs are notorious for intermittent starting problems—heat damages them over time. Be sure to apply the heat transfer grease to the bottom of the ICM. ICMs are “electronic points.”

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have a 1979 Chevy van that won't start. [ 1 Answers ]

It's a motor home on a Chevy van chasy. It started last month and now it won't even turn over.the battery has 12v and the lights work but not the radio. I replaced the starter and tested the wires from the egnition to the starter and I have power. I've checked the fuses and traced the wires that I...

1979 350 chevy pu [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, here's the situation - The battery cranks over well, the starter is turning, and right when the engine normally fires (2-3 seconds) there is a grinding sound like gears, so I shut it off - what can I do?

1979 chevy wiring [ 2 Answers ]

Where does the small wire on the starter go to?

1979 chevy pickup will not start [ 5 Answers ]

My 1979 chevy pickup will not start I have replaced the starter the flywheel and have put in a new battery and still nothing. Everything shows it has power but I turn the ignition and it acts like the battery is dead and sometimes it has no fire at all I don't know what could be the problem please...

1979 chevy love [ 1 Answers ]

My husband just bought a 1979 chevy love, he drove it home and it lost all power 2 times and now it won't work at all. He has had the alt, voltage reg and the battery checked. We really need this truck to work!! Anyone have any ideas?:( :confused: please help!!

View more questions Search