Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Freo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2018, 01:00 AM
    Intermittent PC startup
    6 year old Shuttle PC starts up ONLY every second time... stops just after Windows logo and 'rotating spots' view!

Has been suggested that I have a 'crack' in motherboard or associated wiring which closes up soon after heat associated with power source.

Hence no power to hard disk.

Any other suggestions would be welcome!
    Appzalien Posts: 540, Reputation: 57

Jul 5, 2018, 06:54 AM
    Typically what your describing is the point at which windows starts to load it's drivers before booting to the desktop. Often the graphics drivers are the cause but any driver could be the issue. A 6yo. PC might have a low motherboard battery that has enough juice to keep the date and time but is failing to keep the bios correctly so a second try might have reset the bios enough for the PC to boot correctly on the second try. Then after some down time it happens again. If you have a multi-meter you can check the button battery to see if it's reading 3volts. If it's reading less replace it. Then if that isn't the case I would reinstall my drivers over themselves (the same version) to get rid of any possible corruption starting with graphics. Corruption of drivers can occur from a bad shut down or a storm outage. You might also consider looking in Device Manager for any issues that show up there. A cracked motherboard is unlikely unless you dropped the darn thing. Sometimes re-seating your memory will solve the problem as well.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 5, 2018, 11:47 AM
    Are you getting a blue screen of death or is it just going through the boot cycle an extra time ?

Im asking because that also can be part of being able to diagnose what is going on also you havent said if it does run after the 2nd boot process. Is this unit windows XP ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2001 mercury sable intermittent startup problems [ 6 Answers ]

it is my grandmothers car and she has been stuck with it not starting up a couple of times. It has been in and out of the shop for the same problem. We had the starter changed about a year ago, that didn't correct the problem. The mechanic says he has contacted about 9 other mechanics and have all...

Intermittent AC startup [ 4 Answers ]

My upstairs ac unit won't startup when the temperature is above 82 and attic humidity is high. The thermostat seems to work OK. On cooler/dryer days/nights the unit starts-up fine. Could this be a blower run or startup capacitor issue? The control unit was replaced 2 yrs ago.

Tempstar Furnace Intermittent Startup [ 17 Answers ]

We have a natural gas-fired Tempstar furnace that sometimes will not start-up. It is controlled by a setback thermostat. In the morning it normally fires up fine for the first heating cycle, but usually gets "stuck" on the second cycle. By stuck, I mean we get a yellow flame (coil heating up?) for...

Startup.. [ 5 Answers ]

:confused: Yes guys need help... I can't stop a folder from opening when the windows startup... but this folder isn't like this before... I wonder why...

Svchost.exe?  And startup but not in startup file? [ 1 Answers ]

Dear All, Can you tell me what svchost.exe is? I'm always getting a box saying it has generated errors and will be closed. Also, a lot of things start up without being in the startup file. Where does the computer get the command to start those things up? The registry or somewhere else? ...

View more questions Search