Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    macrolover Posts: 30, Reputation: 3

Apr 18, 2007, 11:28 AM
    5 weeks 2 days pregnant and brown spotting
    Hi guys! Thanks for all of the well wishes after the good news came.

I am having some discharge... old brown blood mixed with mucous... very light. It isn't constant. I'll have it for a day or two and then nothing for three or four days.

Had my blood drawn today for the full prenatal screen including the hcg levels. I will have another draw on Friday to confirm the doubling of hcg amount present. I realize that some spotting is the norm in early pregnancy... I also realize that spotting can be a sign of miscarriage.

I still feel very much pregnant: boobs are immense and tender, nauseated (but not vomiting) all day long, exhausted and taking naps every afternoon, etc. I do have a little cramping at times (much less intense than when I had or was about to have my period and also very infrequently).

I believe or want to believe that everything is fine and this is just a result of both the uterus and placenta growing.

Have any of you experienced this at this stage in the game and go on the have healthy pregnancies?
    automansgirl Posts: 467, Reputation: 42

Apr 18, 2007, 12:02 PM
    I only had some blood after sex once, so far. My doctor told me that early in pregnancy it is common to have some spotting. If the spotting if followed by cramping you need to be checked immediately. It sounds like you are having normal pregnancy cramping, though. I'm still getting the cramps, though not as often, and I'm 7w4d. You should let you doc know what you are experiencing, but it sounds pretty normal to me. (I'm not a doctor, just pregnant!) My doc said that the cramping and spotting in early pregnancy are caused by the baby implanting deeper into the wall of your uterus and the uterus going through all the changes to begin accommodating pregnancy. I'm sure all will be well for you and JR! Just call your doctor's office and let them know if you are worried. They will probably tell you the same thing!
    katesim Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2007, 12:49 PM
    I am pregnant with my third child, and had that happen with my first two. My first I have painful cramping and lots of bleeding, like a period. I luckly didn't have a miscarriage, but I did have early ultrasounds and lots of blood tests. With my second child, I had the same thing but less blood and my doctor discovered that the hormone required for the baby to survive before the placenta takes over was too low and put me on a supplement. I carried both of mine to birth and have to very healthy children. Also, spotting is normal around the time of your period because of implantation but bleeding is not. My doctor told me that. If ever you bleed, no matter how little, you should always let your doctor know. Better safe than sorry. The cramping doesn't go away, you will have it off and on through your whole pregnancy. It's know as round ligament pain, it's just your muscles stretching and holding the baby. As well as preparing for birth.

Apr 19, 2007, 02:43 PM
    Got the lab results from the 1st draw and everything looks good so far. My hcg levels were in the upper 3,000 mIU range.
    The next draw is tomorrow and they told me I'd get my results later in the afternoon.
    The spotting has stopped or at least it's so light that I don't even notice it.
    sarann11 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2007, 02:55 PM
    I wanted to know from the person who originally posted this if everything turned out okay. I know this is an old post from April. I found your question because I'm going through the same thing right now, same symptoms, brown spotting and I'm probably about 5 weeks and 4 days now, and I'm so scared it's a miscarriage. It's not heavy at all and my other symptoms haven't gone away at all. I have my second blood draw tomorrow (my first one just came back normal). After reading online about how brown spotting means you're miscarrying, I'm looking for some hope since I just went through a miscarriage early on last month.

Nov 15, 2007, 04:18 PM
    My due date is Dec 16th, but they are going to induce me a week early due to Gestational Diabetes. I hope everything turns out well for you. I know it can be scary. Brown spotting does not necessarily mean miscarriage!
    minaj59 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2009, 03:40 PM
    I'm 17 years old and I'm 5weeks and 2days I started spottin dark brown blood today also wit cramps I don't know what to do... when I went 2 pee I was llo0king at da pee then then I seen little bit of blood that lo0k like tissue
    cutey123 Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2010, 01:31 AM

Minaj same is the case here with me... I am having that kind of bleeding from 5 days and I'm 4 weeks pregnant.. I'm also 17 yrz old if you find any answer then tell me
    westins_mom Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2010, 04:00 PM
    I am five weeks and had dark brown light spotting. I had a miscarriage three months ago. When I bled than it was spotting first and the next day it continued and went from dark brown to red. 48 hours after the spotting started I started having severe cramping like I couldn't even stand. Usually at least I did, I knew something was wrong women intution. If you don't feel like its something to worry about it is probably nothing to worry about. I am going to go to the doc on Monday just to be on the safe side. Everything is in GODS HANDS.
    ellas Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2011, 06:55 PM
    I want to ask this question, its about my situation I am pregnant but I do not feel vomiting as of today I am two months and 2 weeks already. And the left and right atrial under my neck beats faster... many told me that if you were a pregnant it should be at the center of your neck the beats shouldcome out... is this normal. You can send the answer through my email [email protected]
    hooha84 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2011, 01:15 PM
    I'm 27 and I am also 5 weeks and 5 days pregnant and so far I have a had some brown spotting but only when I use the restroom and wipe. I feel light cramp most of the time but hopefully it's just normal. I've been getting a lot of blood work done to check my levels and so far they have been fine. This is my second pregnancy and I lost the first baby but the bleeding was heavier. It sounds like it might just be normal to have some spotting. I wish everyone luck
    Sidzz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2012, 11:30 AM
    I have brown spotting since I got pregnant now I am 5 weeks 3 days.but spotting is not going.I m using progesterone supository as well two times a day.my rogesterone was good when drawn it was 40. But still to be on safe side,dr. prescribed me.what about this brown discharge/spotting thread like.I miscarried twice and I'm so scared.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

May 23, 2012, 01:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidzz View Post
    I have brown spotting since i got pregnant now i am 5 weeks 3 days.but spotting is not going.I m using progesterone supository as well two times a day.my rogesterone was good when drawn it was 40. but still to b on safe side,dr. prescribed me.what about this brown discharge/spotting thread like.i miscarried twice n i m so scared.

It is understandable that you would be concerned. Usually it is not a problem unless the bleeding is red and/or you have cramping. Mild cramping here and there can be normal as well. When in doubt, give your doctor a call for the peace of mind.
    md2012 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2012, 10:52 AM
    Hi all
    A little spotting is normal in early pregnancy especially around week 6. Its called implantation bleeding as the baby attachs itself further.I had implantation bleeding a week after conception, three days when expecting my period (which thankfully didn't come!) and then again at 6weeks. I had a scan and everything was fine. HCG and Prog levels were all high and HCG was doubling. Once it is brown it is OK although mine was red on occasions but that was OK. They call the implantation bleeding a little clot which can sometimes be red too.However if its not more than a period and you have no cramping I would think its nothing to worry about. Such a worrying time.. us poor women.Good luck to all reading this... baby dust x

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

7 days late, spotting last 2 days [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, My period is 7 days late today. The past couple of days I've been having cramps and I'm always sure my period has started but when I go to the bathroom there's nothing in my underware, just some brown smearing when I wipe. My husband and I have been trying to conceive for 2 months... I tested...

Brown spotting [ 7 Answers ]

I don't get my period regularly. The last time I got it was in januaury when I was on the pill. Before that it was the januaury before that, and before that was march. I don't expect my period. But lately, I've been getting like brown spotting discharge like. Its like when you get over your period...

Brown Spotting [ 3 Answers ]

My husband and I have been trying to achieve pregnancy for almost one year now. Last month I spotted pink on the first day then brown the following two days one day before my period was due. Could this be implantation bleeding? Then I spotted pink again around days 15 and 16. I don't know what...

Brown Spotting [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I'm new and I need help from all of you. Im a 23 yrs old girl, I have very irregular period each month, in one month I could get my period on the 5th, and the next month on the 19th and usually my period only lasts for 3-4 days. Im not sexually active. I've been having brown spotting for the...

Pregnant and spotting brown [ 1 Answers ]

This is my first pregnancy... I am very worried because I am spotting brown, very little sometimes brown clots, but they are little also. I did not have my first pre natal appointment, that is on the ninth of January, so is this normal? :confused:

View more questions Search