Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    karendostoievsk Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2018, 09:58 AM
    Can I not pay rent for my burned belongings after garage fire?
    Hello,
    I've been living on the second foor of a 3 story house for 4 years, last year a new tenant moved to the first floor and it has been really rough since then, he has constant partys and there's always weird cars around the house, I've been trying to move out since then because it's been making me feel really insecure and nervous and yesterday he burned down the garage by using fireworks and hid on his apartment, I told my landlord that it scare the brains out of me and all she said is, I'm sorry but it's first of the month have you paid your rent yet? some of my belongings got burned, I'm on a month to month, I did not sign any contract, I don't have renting insurance but I've always paid rent on time, Is there a way that I can legally not pay rent in retribution to my damaged belongings? PD. I'm moving out as soon as possible I'm really scared.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 1, 2018, 10:45 AM
    No. The garage is not your residence, and the landlord isn't responsible for the contents. That's what renters insurance is for. Even if your apartment burned...the landlord isn't responsible for your personal stuff. Hate to sound harsh, but renters insurance doesn't sound like such a bad idea now? Does it. And yes like most people, I am a former renter.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 1, 2018, 05:43 PM
    No insurance... no OPTIONS... NO LUCK. You still owe rent.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 1, 2018, 08:28 PM
    Your fault for no insurance. How was the landlord liable? Go after the person who caused the damage.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The owner refused to take our rent and told us to pack our belongings up asap [ 4 Answers ]

On August 1st, 2012, we attempted to pay the rent to the owner of the single family house that we live in with him. He refused to take our rent money and told us to start packing our belongings because the house had gone into foreclosure. We have been actively looking for a new place, but with...

Can a commercial landlord keep the tenants belongings and keep compounding rent ? [ 1 Answers ]

Can a NJ commercial landlord keep the tenants belongings and keep compounding rent ?

Tennent's trailer and rv burned in fire [ 6 Answers ]

Another ? About our fire in Kagel Canyon, Ca. On the 12th of Oct. we had a fire in the canyon and my tennent had 1 trailer and 1 rv with everything he owned burned to the ground on my property. A neighbor brought a loner rv for him to live in on my property plus he is plugged into my electricity....

Roommate has abandoned belongings and has not paid rent [ 5 Answers ]

I live in a 4 bedroom apartment with two other roommates. One roommate's rent check bounced in mid July, and has been AWOL since then and we have no way to reach him. He has not paid rent for the months of July and August (today is August 11). We know he is alive and well, but he will not return...

Roommate left his belongings and did not pay his share of bills and rent [ 1 Answers ]

Myself and one other person are on a written lease agreement. Our third roommate was on a verbal lease agreement. He stopped living at our residence almost 4 months ago and left all of his belongings. He will randomly state he wants his stuff back, and we say we want the $700+ he owes us. Can we...

View more questions Search