Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gyoder_1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2007, 10:38 AM
    Engagement Party Speech
    Good Afternoon, I am the father of the bride and I need help with my engagement speech, I have about a month too think about my speech. I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas or previous speeches that they have used. Thank you for your help gyoder_1 :)
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Apr 21, 2007, 01:52 PM
    Gyoder, I just noticed that your question remained unanswered. I did not want you to feel ignored. I have found some links that you might find useful. Although they are geared for the actual Wedding Day, you should be able to pull something from these for both the engagement speech and the wedding day speech.
    Wedding Quotes for Wedding Toasts: Wedding Speeches

Wedding Etiquette 101 - Father of the Bride Speech

Example Father of the Bride's Speech - Free sample speech

Wedding speeches for the bridegroom, best man, and father of the bride

My personal advice is: Just keep in mind that there is no rule it has to be a long speech. Speak from your heart. Think about your wife, family memories, when your daughter was born, her childhood, funny stories, loving stories, your (and wife's) hopes and dreams for her, and how you have looked forward to this day. If you are comfortable with this and you like the guy, talk about her fiancée, what kind of a man he is, and that you are happy that they have managed to find each other. Good luck & Congratulations! :)
    lacuran8626 Posts: 270, Reputation: 57

May 9, 2007, 05:31 PM
    Do not use this opportunity to be sarcastic or to embarrass either the bride or the groom. Humor is good but embarrassing them is not. Remembering a particularly meaningful and pleasant memory of your daughter when she was younger would be lovely. Or if it was a nice conversation and you were truly happy for her, perhaps you can describe how you felt when she told you she had fallen in love with her intended husband. You can never go wrong mentioning how beautiful the bride is, and if you are still married to her, how magnificent her mother is!

My father did a wonderful job. He shared what he most likes about me, and the fact that he felt my groom brought those qualities out in me. He talked about what he wanted for me as my father, and expressed his confidence that those things were going to happen in my life. He also had some pleasant comments about my new in-laws and about my spouse. He told my husband that he knew we would be happy because I was just like my mother, and she was perfect in his eyes.

As it happens, we sadly divorced 10 years later, but I think that even so, the comments my Dad made that day paved the way for ongoing respect between the families.

I have also been to weddings where jokes were made that were very embarrassing to either the bride or the groom, or the humor was all based on giving the groom a good-natured hard time. I don't know - I don't like it on the day of the wedding - too tacky.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Engagement Party Speech [ 1 Answers ]

My mom is throwing my fiancé and I an engagement party this weekend. We'd like to thank everyone for coming and being a part of the wedding, etc. etc. Does anyone have any good ideas for a toast to our guests? Also... we have been secretly house hunting and found a new house. Our families know but...

A speech [ 8 Answers ]

I have attend a public speaking course... n my teacher ask me to talk about "what makes me a chinese"so I dun have any idea... :( n I ned tis on tis wed... plzz.. help me wit it... thankss:D

Old Engagement Ring [ 24 Answers ]

Should you give it back if you changed your mind or accept it because it was a gift?

Text to speech [ 1 Answers ]

Is a website where I can download a thing where the computer reads the page to me?

Free Speech [ 2 Answers ]

Cleric puts up one million dollors to kill cartoonist that created the funny. Well, I guess free thought as well as free speech is out of the question. Why are these people so very excitable? What exactly do they want out of life. I am truly perplexed when it comes to their behavior. Can anyone...

View more questions Search