Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    coblas Posts: 137, Reputation: 2

Jun 14, 2018, 09:34 AM
    Replacing bricks when repointing the chimney.
    The chimney on my roof needs repointing and some of the bricks are cracked and need to be replaced. I have roughly the same number of unused bricks (left over from the original construction) as cracked so I figure it's likely that I missed a few that will need replacement, too. The bricks are 47 years old and no longer made. Also, the bricks made today are shorter (7-5/8" long vs. 8-1/8" long for the old ones). Is there a good way to handle using some smaller bricks or will I have to have the whole chimney and all the bricks replaced? What issues would a mason have with this project? I'm perfectly willing to participate on the ground mixing small batches of mortar or whatever. Incidentally, the bricks and mortar are brown which I would like to have again.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I remove a few bricks from the middle of the chimney stack from my fireplace? [ 2 Answers ]

I want to remove the bricks from the part of the stack that is in an upstairs room so I can temporarily feed some ducting into it? I will be removing an area of about a Sq Foot

A few bricks in our fireplace need replacing. I want to do it myself. [ 1 Answers ]

A few refractory bricks are loose and two are falling out. How do I fix them.

If your chimney is in the center of your house, do you need a chimney liner to vent t [ 2 Answers ]

If your chimney is in the center of your house, do you need a chimney liner to vent the water heater?

Replacing brick in outside chimney [ 2 Answers ]

What is the best way to replace rotting bricks located in diff. spots above the heave in My outside chimney?

Bricks falling of the top of my chimney! [ 26 Answers ]

I knew the top of my chimney had some loose bricks when I bought the house 2 years ago. However, 3 days ago an entire brick fell off the top and took a chunk of shingle with it! I have 2 masons coming to give me an estimate on Sunday. I've been told by a few people that even though it only looks...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.