Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dwashbur Posts: 1,456, Reputation: 175
    Ultra Member

Jun 5, 2018, 07:36 AM
    Jesus Makes a Joke?
    Matthew 10:31. Jesus has been talking about how sparrows are sold for next to nothing, but they matter to God. Then He says, "So don't worry. You're worth more than a whole bunch of sparrows!" It occurred to me he's making a little joke here, a nice understatement. I can see Him saying it with a little glint in his eye, maybe a touch of a sideways grin, and the disciples laughing and saying to each other, "Well, it's good to know we're worth more than birds!"

Any thoughts?
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jun 5, 2018, 09:23 AM
    Making a valid point but doing so with some underlying humor. Sounds reasonable to me. However, the fact that the writer chose to include it, and not to mention that the Spirit of God chose to include it, would tell us it is meant to be much more than merely a joke.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 5, 2018, 10:56 AM
    Sparrows are small, prolific, inoffensive, and easily overlooked because of their drabness and despite their large numbers. That means nobody notices them or says, "Hey, look over there -- a sparrow! Wow!" But God looks at drab little me and says, "You're my child and I love you."
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2018, 08:59 AM
    Yes! I'm sure the Lord has a great sense of humor... we see it throughout the entire Bible. Sarah lying to the Lord and saying she didn't laugh... her sons name is Isaac which means laughter... Also when he gave the sermon on the mount I think he was very interesting and entertaining. The Bible says in one account the crowd listened to him with delight! He is also making a joke when he tells us we try to get the splinter out of our brothers eye when we have a log in our own.
    Typhoonish Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2019, 04:03 PM
    Yes He is, I agree. I believe He has a great sense of humor in a way that everyone would be happy to hear what He says and together with it is a great lessons we should learn.
    Ultra Member

Mar 20, 2019, 08:26 AM
    My favorite Jesus joke is when the officials ask Peter if Jesus pays the temple tax. Jesus, a little twinkle in his eye, asks Peter, "Do kings collect their taxes from strangers or from their own children?"
    Peter says, "I guess from strangers."
    Jesus grins and says, "Then the children are exempt."
    This little joke sails right over Peter's head.
    But I love it.
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Mar 20, 2019, 02:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dwashbur View Post
    My favorite Jesus joke is when the officials ask Peter if Jesus pays the temple tax. Jesus, a little twinkle in his eye, asks Peter, "Do kings collect their taxes from strangers or from their own children?"
    Peter says, "I guess from strangers."
    Jesus grins and says, "Then the children are exempt."
    This little joke sails right over Peter's head.
    But I love it.

Sailed right over my head, too, especially since Jesus paid the tax. What am I missing?
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Mar 20, 2019, 06:01 PM
    Sailed right over my head, too
    Well, that would make two of us. I assume Jesus is saying He didn't have to pay the tax since He is God's son, but like you say, He then went on to pay the tax. I never saw the humor in it before now, but it is an interesting take.
    Ultra Member

Mar 21, 2019, 08:18 AM
    Yes, as God's Son, he should have been exempt from the tax. That was the little joke. Except he didn't pay it. Neither did Peter. The joke continues.

Jesus: Just so we don't start a fuss, go fishing.
    Peter: Yeah, I'll sell some fish and pay the tax.
    Jesus: No, you only need one fish.
    Peter: Huh?
    Jesus: Just use a hook and catch one fish.
    Peter: It better be a really big one if it's going to cover both of us.
    Jesus: Nope. Normal size. Look in its mouth.
    Peter: Huh?
    Jesus: Look in its mouth. You'll find a coin that's enough to pay the tax for us.
    Peter: Uh, okay. (Walks away mumbling incoherently)

My conclusion: the coin he found in the fish's mouth fell out of one of the scribes' pocket somewhere along the way.

But that's just me ;)
    Typhoonish Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2019, 01:15 AM
    Huh. You got me on that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why does he joke around with me sometimes? [ 3 Answers ]

On a few of the text messages he asked if I liked him and I told him that I did, and I asked him if he liked me, and he said no, because he already has a girlfriend but I didn't believe him. Then one day when he called me and he told me two girls that he liked, (I knew he doesn't actually like...

OK, you want a bad joke? [ 3 Answers ]

A guy comes home from work to find his front door smashed to splinters. He calls the police. When the cops arrive, they can plainly see that it is a burglary so they ask the home owner what is missing? The home owner says, well, I've been teaching myself to play the trombone, the only thing...

I have a fried who swears he makes 250K. How do I find out how much he really makes? [ 12 Answers ]

:D I have a friend who swears he makes 250K. How do I find out how much he really makes?

My boyfriend never makes the first move and makes a lot of excuses about sex [ 14 Answers ]

Well I am a recovered sex addict and I have some emotional issues as well but sex if very important to me and my boyfriend and me never have sex anymore I don't remember the last time we even were intimate sometimes if I start touching on him he will normally just jerk off to finish and its so...

View more questions Search