Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TNgirl50 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2018, 02:01 PM
    Mother arrested for trying to evict an adult child (a guest)
    Hello! I have a question about Bedford County, TN law regarding an adult child living at home. The 29 year old man lives with his Mother. The Mother pays all the bills for the household and takes care of him and her adult daughter. He does not give any money to her for rent, food, or utilities. Recently, he has been asked to leave the house and an altercation ensued. The Mother was actually arrested for throwing some of his things around and trying to make him leave.

I wanted to know if this arrest follows TN law regarding a child living at home and needing to be evicted.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 3, 2018, 03:54 PM
    I don't know the laws in your area but I do know that most places have an eviction process that has to be followed. You can't just decide to throw someone out. Rent or no rent, he's a resident in that home and the eviction process has to be followed, as does the removal of his items. She should look up the eviction laws in her area (a simple Google search should give her that info) and then legally evict him.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2018, 06:18 PM
    He is a tenant in the house. See the attached link,
    https://www.rocketlawyer.com/documen...tion-notice.rl
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 4, 2018, 02:32 AM
    I can pretty much guarantee that the mother was not arrested simply because his belongings were removed from the house. With that said, the mother has to follow the eviction laws of her area.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jun 9, 2018, 10:44 AM
    Like it or not the fact that she let him remain there as his primary resident allows him certain rights under the law. It is not just about throwing a child out of the house.

I agree with J9 in that the mother went well beyond what is being stated to be arrested.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

An a mother who leaves her child with its father be arrested for child abandonment? [ 2 Answers ]

Can a mother who leaves her child with its father be arrested for child abandonment??

Evict an adult child in nj [ 1 Answers ]

We have a 22 year old son that is unemployed and living rent free in our house and not making good choices for himself and our family, I want him out of the house and need to know how to go about it in NJ.

How to Evict an Adult Child in NYS [ 5 Answers ]

I live in NY State and have a grown 24 year old son who lives at home,(recently laid off after first job out of college a year ago) and he lives with my wife and 7 year old granddaughter (his niece). He has worn out his welcome by continually challenging and insulting his mom and I and endlessly...

Evict adult child [ 8 Answers ]

How do I evict an adult child from my home in pa?

How to evict adult child [ 1 Answers ]

We have an adult child whom we need to evict. She is 27 years old, works but refuses to help out with any household expenses, rent, utilities, food etc. She prefers to use her money for her personal entertainment. How do we go about evicting her as she has never paid rent to us? wptav

View more questions Search