Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lost?? Posts: 234, Reputation: 7

May 31, 2018, 07:31 PM
    Hang cabinets on furring strips attached to block wall
    I am going to be putting cabinets up in my kitchen in the next few weeks. One wall is a block wall with 1x3 furring strips attached (my home is a twin and this is the fire wall between the houses). I am planning on securing the furring strips with 2.75 inch tapcons to the brick to support the weight of the cabinets and microwave. There are currently cabinets and a microwave hanging on the wall but I am changing the placement and adding more cabinets as well. The cabinets use a rail system, so after securing the strips I was then going to secure the rail through the drywall and furring strips using tapcons again which should sink 2 inches into the block. Does seem to be adequate support for the cabinets? Is there another fastener I should be using? Thanks!
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2018, 11:35 AM
    Tapcons are great. Are you using a hammer drill? Today I screwed some 1" PT boards into concrete but used an SDS bit in a hammer drill.
    lost?? Posts: 234, Reputation: 7

Jun 1, 2018, 01:11 PM
    I do have a hammer drill, just need to find it. I've been using a regular drill. The tapcons came with a drill bit to use. The brick tough, but it isn't terrible to get through like concrete.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shallow boxes for furring strip wall [ 7 Answers ]

I’m adding outlets to my kitchen and have run into an issue. One wall is furring strips nailed to block. Between the furring strip and the drywall I’ll have 1.5 inches between the block and the front of the drywall. I picked up some 8 cu inches shallow boxes which end up sticking out about a...

Install hanging microwave on furring strip wall [ 4 Answers ]

I am considering installing an over the range microwave. The microwaves I'm looking at are between 60 - 70 lbs. My concern is that the wall that I would be installing the unit on is made of furring strips, and that the unit might be too heavy.There are already 3 cabinets on this wall where I would...

Furring strips vs walls [ 2 Answers ]

I am remodeling my basement and have cement block walls. The walls are in OK shape, the floor is uneven in places. The room is about 10 degrees warmer in winter and cooler in summer than the rest of the house. I am trying to decide if I should use furring strips to attach my drywall to or build...

What are furring strips and how would I install. . [ 7 Answers ]

What are furring strips and how would I install? I am drywalling the upper brick wall portion of my working fireplace) so it can be painted and flat screen TV can be hung. Oh yeah it's going to look nice as soon as you help me out so I actually know what I'm doing is right... thanks in advance.

How to run lines on furring strip block wall. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there. What materials do you use to run new lines, (new construction) on a block wall that will be furred out? For example, how do you secure the lines, what size boxes, etc. Will be running a few outlets and swiches. Will I have overfill violations by going box to box? They will have to...

View more questions Search