Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ZinscoMan Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2018, 07:26 AM
    Schlage deadbolt has greasy residue, brand new in packaging
    I just bought a brand new Schlage deadbolt at Lowe's. Everything about it looked factory sealed including the tape on the plastic bags of the screws. But the entire latch and throwbolt have a greasy residue on them. My old Kwikset deadbolt didn't have this oily residue on it originally. I tried to contact Schlage through their website email form but their submit button doesn't work--they don't want to hear from customers. I don't want my phone number used for marketing purposes so I'm afraid to call them. The women working at the lock center at Lowe's can't even operate their online computer and didn't know "AAA" rating was different from Grade 1,2,3. Nobody seems smart enough or cares. So does anybody know if Schlage purposely ships their deadbolts from the factory (made in Mexico) with a clear oily residue on the moving parts or not? This is a Model # B60N V 505 605 single cylinder bright brass deadbolt.

Thanks for reading,
    Morty
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

May 29, 2018, 07:46 AM
    If you are concerned return it to Lowe's for investigation.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 30, 2018, 07:58 AM
    Spray down with WD 40 or something, wipe down, if it operates fine, keep it. Better than being dry. May not have wanted the Bright Brass to Tarnish.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 30, 2018, 08:28 AM
    Yes you could return it, or get over your fear of marketing tactics and call and enquire, or just wipe the shipping stuff off and install the deadbolt. Your choice.

Not unusual for parts to come with some type of coating on them. It helps preserve the finish especially in machined parts used in the automotive industry. You may find some plastic parts with a coating also. Depends on the manufacturer.

If you return it and get another coated deadbolt from Schlage then you will know its standard practice.
    ZinscoMan Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2018, 07:19 AM
    I had to wait until Lowe's had someone knowledgeable on duty. I originally dealt with the "weekend crew" who told me stuff I knew wasn't so. Not only did the guy say it's common practice for deadbolts to be pre-lubricated from the factory, we picked up another deadbolt in the store and could see without opening the packaging that it too was pre-lubricated.

As far as using WD40 on dry locks, the internet seems to have people who swear for and against this. Those who say "WD-40 is a solvent, not a lubricant" claim it might help in the short term but long term it will make the lock harder to work. They say try something with a silicone base.

Upon attempting to install this Schlage deadbolt latch, I found the previously bored hole that fit the old Kwikset perfectly was too small for the new Schlage latch. The rounded portion of the latch was larger and upon trying to force it in, the wood grain of the door began to split vertically. For people who are supposed to machine these things within exact tolerances, I was surprised that Schlage latches are apparently larger than Kwikset. Once you enlarge the hole, there's no going back to Kwikset unless you buy a new door.

Thanks for reading,
    Morty
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2018, 09:34 AM
    The WD 40 was not for lubrication, it was to release the junk then blow out. Brake Kleen would surely Remove all. Then use a DRY Lubricant, Would wipe a coating of WD on the face of the lock(The Shiny Brass)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why should we minimise packaging? [ 5 Answers ]

For health reasons

Can packaging design be capitalized and if so what life is it amortized over? [ 0 Answers ]

Can packaging design be capitalized and if so what life is it amortized over?

Who sing the song I got to brand new pair of roller skates you got to brand new key [ 2 Answers ]

Who sing the song I got to brand new pair of roller skates you got to brand new key

Spanish instructions being printed on packaging [ 2 Answers ]

Wondering! Why did companys start printing spanish instructions on their packaging? Was it up to company? Did our government mandate it? How did it become common practice? Where/Why How did it begin?

Commercial Deadbolt Fix [ 4 Answers ]

I made the mistake of hiring a real hack to install a commercial entry door. The frame was overtightened, so I now have to use 3 strike plates on the lower lock to get a tight fit. He also used a 2-3/4" hole saw to make the cut for the deadbolt instead of the 2-1/8" that was supposed to be used....

View more questions Search