Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lost?? Posts: 234, Reputation: 7

May 28, 2018, 09:21 PM
    Shallow boxes for furring strip wall
    I’m adding outlets to my kitchen and have run into an issue. One wall is furring strips nailed to block. Between the furring strip and the drywall I’ll have 1.5 inches between the block and the front of the drywall. I picked up some 8 cu inches shallow boxes which end up sticking out about a quarter of and inch which will work after the backsplash (will probably need some box extenders). After doing research however, I’ve learned that these boxes may be too small for my needs. I have one 12-2 wire going in and out of each box. Outlets will be gfci. I wanted to see if there was anything else I could do short of chiseling out some of the block to accommodate a larger box. Any input is appreciated, thanks!
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

May 29, 2018, 01:04 PM
    Some newer homes, our daughters for one, have the outlets mounted on the underside of the cabinets. No wire in The walls.

May 29, 2018, 08:38 PM
    That’s a good point, I didn’t even think of that. I was actually able to find some pretty shallow boxes that are wide enough to give me the cubic inches I need, thanks for the input though!
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 30, 2018, 07:53 AM
    The old way was to just take a hammer and break out the block behind it. If on a web, you can move over a little so it falls within a cell. Better is to take a Die grinder and cut out for the boxes, and the conduit. It will need to be mudded in after all is in place.
    Since you are have backsplashes, maybe use a Deeper box, I HATE too shallow of boxes installed by others, leaves little room for wires and devices. Same as for switch boxes, Use larger to have room for Dimmers. The price difference is minimal, the Money is in the Labor.

May 30, 2018, 01:00 PM
    The boxes I found stick out about 0.75 of an inch past the furring strip, so it'll give me 0.25 after drywall, which I'll probably need with the backsplash. I'll be sure to leave plenty of wire in the boxes, thanks!
    Uber Member

Jun 6, 2018, 06:06 AM
    Whoever does the Backsplash, especially if it Is Marble or Granite for them to cut up to the sides of the box, and so the 2 screws can be inserted. See some who cut openings screws will not go in or GFI will not fit. Then I have to break out a die grinder, Feel it is tilers job?

Jun 10, 2018, 07:38 PM
    Thanks for your response, I'll be doing the backsplash and will be sure to leave room for the screws.
    Uber Member

Jun 11, 2018, 05:43 AM
    AND to the sides of the box. Good Luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Outdoor block wall lighting, mounting boxes? [ 13 Answers ]

Hi there, My masonry contractor has run some conduit in the pilasters of my new concrete block retaining / garden wall. I'd like to mount exterior lamps on the sides (not the tops) of the pilasters to match the lamps I have near my front porch and around the sides of my house. The lamp looks...

Install hanging microwave on furring strip wall [ 4 Answers ]

I am considering installing an over the range microwave. The microwaves I'm looking at are between 60 - 70 lbs. My concern is that the wall that I would be installing the unit on is made of furring strips, and that the unit might be too heavy.There are already 3 cabinets on this wall where I would...

What is a furring strip [ 6 Answers ]

I would like to redo my basement walls. All but one wall has very ugly "knotty" looking paneling and one wall is brick with a fireplace. Can I put drywall over the paneling and the brick? And how far away do I need to keep the drywall from the fireplace.? Please help!

Outlet boxes and wiring installed on basement wall [ 1 Answers ]

What is the proper method of wiring outlets on the basement wall. The wall has 2x3 firring strips 16" OC. Does the wire have to be in conduit?

How to run lines on furring strip block wall. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there. What materials do you use to run new lines, (new construction) on a block wall that will be furred out? For example, how do you secure the lines, what size boxes, etc. Will be running a few outlets and swiches. Will I have overfill violations by going box to box? They will have to...

View more questions Search