Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vivmod Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2007, 08:02 AM
    Smelly clean laundry
    My boyfriend always complains that the clean laundry, mostly the towels, have a moldy or old smell to them. Once the towels are used every day to dry our hands and are a little damp he says they seem to smell like they have sat in the washer for a few days until they were put in the dryer.
    curlybenswife Posts: 2,477, Reputation: 267
    Ultra Member

Apr 18, 2007, 08:07 AM
    Is your washer pumping out properly? Admittedly if I don't put the washed stuff straight into the dryer it does start to smell after a day I've gotten into the habbit of if I forget I've done a wash and leave it over night I re wash it because I hate the fousty smell that occurs.
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Apr 18, 2007, 08:09 AM
    I agree and towels are especially bad, the material is thicker and harder to dry.. Try re-washing it a couple times and see if it helps. Also, make sure they dry all the way in the dryer. If there are too many towels in there they won't dry completely and could mildew...
    Matt3046 Posts: 831, Reputation: 128

Apr 18, 2007, 08:21 AM
    Use a good quality detergent, I like the Tide with Fabrez.
    curlybenswife Posts: 2,477, Reputation: 267
    Ultra Member

Apr 18, 2007, 08:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt3046
    Use a good quality detergent, I like the Tide with Fabrez.
    Detergent will only mask the smell until the towels are used and made wet they just need a dam good washing and a thorough drying.
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Apr 18, 2007, 08:42 AM
    Although the tide with fabreeze does smell lovely... :p
    cruzen7 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2007, 02:28 PM
    This used to happen to me frequently while in college, because I lived with slobs. It is MOLD. Not the killer kind, but mold nonetheless. You'll need to wash them in the hottest water setting WITH BLEACH OR BLEACH ALTERNATIVE. Then you IMMEDIATELY need to put them in the dryer on the hottest setting. Yes, they'll shrink a bit but they sure smell good. If they're older towels, make a trip to pick up some more, only after you try my solution. If it works, you're in the clear. If not, the mold is too entrenched in the material and it's pointless to try.
    Chameleon Posts: 154, Reputation: 17

Jun 22, 2007, 12:59 PM
    Try adding white vinegar to your wash. The smell will fade as they dry and it's also a natural fabric softner.
    chicagowoman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2007, 05:42 AM
    Your washer may be moldy from too much detergent use. You might have to purchase a washer cleaner. I purchased one called PureWasher. I followed the directions religiously several times in a row (just to be sure I got it all) but found that I have to do again every few months. I have cut back how much detergent I use but I still end up with a smell eventually.
    http://www.smellywasher.com/
    beaglesgal Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Aug 18, 2007, 12:35 PM
    I have the same problem and I agree that nothing got rid of it until I used bleach.I find it is at its worst in the summer months.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Aug 18, 2007, 05:58 PM
    Try washing on hot and then warm rinse. And don't leave them in the washer very long after they are done washing.
    stevy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2007, 10:43 AM
    I've heard by putting baking soda in the cycle and then some vinegar in the rinse cycle is a solution to the smelly washer. It's a good idea to run bleach through the washer every now and again especially if the usual wash is at a low temperature - it seems low temperature washes are more susceptible to smells.

Smelly washing machine solutions and causes
    cravatts Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2009, 10:38 AM
    I wish I had the answer! I have used Tide washer cleaner, bleach, the best detergents, fabric softeners, OdoBan, and now am up in arms! At this point, I guess I'm ready to get a new washer and dryer, which is very discouraging, since I bought the top of the line HE front loaders several years ago. Needless to say, for some reason, though I was told the opposite... I have really experienced this problem when I switched from hard water to soft water. I am told soft water cleans much better and so on, but I am having the opposite effect. Even my dishwater detergent doesn't stay sudsy - when they say that soft water makes soap last longer and work better (?? ). Go figure. If anyone has a SURE FIRE answer to this problem, please let me know! Thank you.
    Budpeach Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2012, 01:45 PM
    My towels smell clean until they get wet. I have a front loading washer and dryer. I have used a washing machine cleaner from Tide and I always leave the door open when not in use. I remove laundry immediately and place in the dryer and the loads are not huge. Dish clothes and towels smell great and are dry when taken out of the dryer. After they get wet the get a very sour smell to them even when they are hung up to dry. I can only use them one or two times before having to rewash. I hang them to dry before putting them in the laundry hamper. I seem to have done all of the above suggest except putting bleach in because of the colors and yet still the smell. Any ideas? Thank you.
    aliseaodo Posts: 1,671, Reputation: 259
    Movie Expert

Jun 20, 2012, 02:14 PM
    Have you tried the white vinegar trick? Any time I leave clothes in the washer they turn sour, and simply rewashing will not take the smell out - if you add white vinegar along with your detergent, it takes the smell out. Make sure to still put the laundry directly into the dryer - not sure why it works, but it does!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Smelly toilet leading to all floor being smelly [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there is toilet smell on all my floor in the company where I work what can be the reasons and what can be the remedy pl guide urgently.:mad:

Smelly [ 3 Answers ]

How do I get the sour milk smell out of something?

Smelly drains [ 2 Answers ]

I have smelly drains! It is only in the cooler weather do they smell. It comes up from the shower drain, toilet, and the kitchen drain. It smells like strong gases coming from all the drain openings. What could be the cause and why is it only smelly in the cooler weather? I hate to have...

Smelly drains [ 3 Answers ]

Does the stack pipe need to go straight up? Mine (pvc) has a curve in it, a 90 degree pipe that takes the stack approx. 1 ft over and up (just below the roof) to avoid a beam. The ceiling height in this utility room is about 8 ft. I have a very small 1 floor house and all my plumbing action is...

Smelly bathroom [ 2 Answers ]

I keep my bathroom extremely clean. It's a full bath, regular size with bathtub. I clean everyday and I am the only user. However, about a month ago until now, I smell urine from the toilet area, every time I enter the bathroom. Each time I use, I clean with Clorox again, and the next time I enter...

View more questions Search