Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Treshet Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2018, 05:46 PM
    My family wants me to go on holiday
    I am 17, & my family wants to go on holiday to the Isle of Wight. I have autism, and other anxieties which I am taking medication for. The problem here is that my mother says that I'm a "vulnerable adult", and cannot be left home by myself.

In order to get there, we need to take a boat, a ferry to be specific; I hate being away from home, and I get really bad travel sickness. What sucks is that they have given me very little notice about this holiday, I was told about this holiday on Monday, and we're set to leave on Thursday.

My grandmother spent £300 to book the boat, & if I don't go that will be gone down the pan. I have a lot of money saved up, and would happily pay her the money that she'll lose if I don't go. Another reason we're going on holiday is because it's her birthday.

Even so, I'm so scared, I have nausea & feel like I'm going to have a panic attack. I, 100% with all my heart, do NOT want to go on this holiday. How could I turn this to work in my favour? I know it's selfish to ruin their holiday, but I simply cannot cope with going that far away from home.

I really need help with this situation.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 22, 2018, 07:21 AM
    As much as you dread this change in the routine, it could go a long way in you finally getting out of yourself and self imposed comfort zone and thinking of helping your family have a good holiday. All things are possible, even dealing with your own feelings in positive ways so think of them, and not just yourself.

Spend your money on a nice gift for your grandmother, and join in the celebration of her happiness. Why would you let your feelings of fear and dread stand in the way of that? Is it not better to share in happiness with family than share your FEAR alone?

Plus you obviously have no choice, so make the most of it!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 22, 2018, 07:50 AM
    Having autism and anxiety really makes life hard, if not impossible, sometimes. At 17 years old, it’s time to try new things, gain new experiences. If this is the case, stepping out of your comfort zone can actually be beneficial to you and your mental health.

Will it be easy for you? No, of course not. However, by going on this holiday and conquering your anxieties and fears you may show your mother that you are not as vulnerable as she feels you are.

I get that you want to stay home, but there is no better way to prove to your mother that you are not as vulnerable as she thinks you are than by going on this holiday with your family. You just may prove to her that you are stronger than she thinks you are. You just may even surprise yourself.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 22, 2018, 10:16 AM
    At 17, at least where I am at (your country may be different) a 17 has no choice or option, they have to obey their parents

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Holiday with family [ 3 Answers ]

Can I go on holiday to Australia with criminal record ? It's been 5 years now since my last a final arrest I do have previous for asaults drugs sound worse than what it is really

Should I go on holiday with family or stay with boyfriend? [ 5 Answers ]

I know this my seem like a dumb question and the obvious answer is "go on holiday with family" but I have made plans and arrangements with my boyfriend and promised we would spend the summer together. But I really want to go on holiday and I know I'm going to miss the family fun. But I don't want...

Is it inappropriate to invite your friends to holiday family functions? [ 1 Answers ]

Am I out of line for being miffed that for the third year in a row, my sister includes her friends in our family gatherings? What started as a one time invitation to her friend to attend Thanksgiving with us because her husband had to be out of town, has now turned into "tradition" where this...

What holiday should my family go on? [ 0 Answers ]

Hello, My family and I are looking for a holiday to go on around the budget of $10,000. We are looking for skiing or culture experiences. We are a family of 4 with two adults and two kids aged 11 and 14, beginner skiiers. We are looking at Japan (cheap holiday), Interstate of Australia and mabye...

Got holiday tickets not paid for holiday [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I really hope someone can help me. I booked a holiday in Feb and only paid low deposit. Then due to finaces I did not pay anymore so could not go. This morning the holiday tickets (flight and accommodation ) arrived. I went on the website to try and pre-book the flight seats and it let...

View more questions Search