Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Langel514 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2018, 11:13 AM
    Checking the correct box
    I filled out itins for my family with my income taxes, but only my wife and I got ours, our children's were rejected. I checked box H. other and filled in Depedent of someone filing income tax. What boxes do I actually check. I also said I didn't file an exception no.
    newacct Posts: 321, Reputation: 21

May 19, 2018, 11:52 AM
    I think you are talking about the W-7 form to apply for an ITIN.

You should have selected "d. Dependent of U.S. citizen/resident alien" for your child who you are claiming as a dependent on your tax return.

May 19, 2018, 07:23 PM
    Yes, it was for a W7, but I am not a legal resident alien, so "D" wouldn't be correct would it?
    newacct Posts: 321, Reputation: 21

May 19, 2018, 11:19 PM
    "resident alien" meaning resident alien for tax purposes (e.g. someone passing the Substantial Presence Test would be a resident alien). Only resident aliens can claim dependents, so if you are to claim your child as a dependent, you must be a resident alien. Also, you said you and your wife got ITINs to file taxes, but only resident aliens can file jointly, so if you guys filed jointly, you must be resident aliens.

May 22, 2018, 04:33 PM
    Perfect. Thank you for your help. Your awesome

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is correct way to bleed air from well water system to correct noise? [ 2 Answers ]

Since installing new flush valve, the toilet increasingly (randomly) is surging as it fills. Is it likely that the flush valve is allowing air to enter the system; it appears to be functioning properly? Our well service company said our pressure tank is not the problem, and the other two homes...

Ban checking [ 0 Answers ]

Sir I am come back dubai year before I am take recednce visa shj but no stamping my passport I want now com dubai please help me

Matching up the correct capacitor with the correct condenser fan motor? [ 4 Answers ]

How crucial is it to match the right capacitor to the right condenser fan motor? If you have the wrong capacitor, can this cause the motor to stop after running for a while, say 20 or 40 minutes? It would start up again, but would allways stop. The specs for the motor are: Emerson E-line, model no...

English to Sanskrit - checking this translation is correct! [ 2 Answers ]

Hi everyone, Im new to this site, I have this translation from english to sanskrit परिचार It is supposed to mean "family". I am having it tattooed on me - I already have the 'om' symbol. Just wanted to check that it is the correct translation please! Many Thanks in advance!

Just checking [ 1 Answers ]

Tax Information

View more questions Search