Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jljl Posts: 37, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2018, 11:06 PM
    Is it worth it to repair my dryer
    Hello, my whirlpool dryer totally stopped. No reaction no matter what buttons I push. It's about 18 years old. It's a stackable washer/dryer unit, the washer works fine. Is it worth it to spend the money to have it repaired (instead of buying a new one)? And what is the reasonable price range?

Thanks a lot.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 12, 2018, 04:38 AM
    Depends on what the fix is. Without knowing that, how can you compare the costs of fixing against buying a new one? There is a service charge to find out what that fix is, and that's likely worth it, if applied to the costs. Easy enough to Google your brand and model number to see what the costs of a new one is, or call around to a reliable repairman to see what the service charge is.

You can also go online to a site like this and follow the directions to pin down and get an idea of your problem. They have part pricing and trouble shooting help. As an additional aid you can watch repair videos and maybe get an idea if this might be a fix YOU could handle yourself.

The more you know/learn the better to make such a decision. Supply your MODEL number, and maybe we can help. Is the washer and dryer plugged into the same place? Unplug it and plug it back and see what happens and make sure to make sure the fuse/breaker has not been tripped.

LOL, after 18 years seems reasonable to fix it and get 18 more years, but no telling what goes out or when next. For now though find out what's wrong and what would it cost to fix it.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 12, 2018, 09:03 AM
    I find it is Usually 1 Part that goes Bad, Some are Cheap, others Expensive,
    If Capable, you need to Start at the receptacle, then follow the power in to the Dryer. Does the Door Switch click when you close the door? Is this Electronic? Make and Model as Mentioned will help, I would also go to a Site like Appliancepartspros.com , It will show an Exploded view of the Parts and where they are located, Good Luck.
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2018, 06:33 PM
    It sounds like an easy fix. I would guess that it needs cleaning and a new thermal overload ($35.00+ cleaning). All driers need to be cleaned every one-two years, so even a new one will need the same service soon. It's probably full of dirt. You will replace the belt, thermal overload, and lube it with white lithium grease, too. It's not much trouble to clean it and fix it.

May 12, 2018, 10:05 PM
    Thanks a lot for the suggestions! It's an electric dryer. Don't have the model number but it's similar to this one:https://www.whirlpool.com/laundry/la...wet4027ew.html

Before it died, we would need to press the start button every 5 minutes to keep it running. Then after a week or so it wouldn't run at all.

The door switch does click. I've tried the diagnosis steps but haven't been able to figure out what the problem is. And yes we do have dryer vent cleaning every year.
    Uber Member

May 13, 2018, 06:12 AM
    Wonder if it is contacts on timer, or Centrifugal switch?

Even a failing door switch?
    Expert

May 13, 2018, 06:14 AM
    Have you called Sears or Whirlpool or a local CERTIFIED tech and found out how much a service call is? A CERTIFIED repairman spends hours in class learning about your appliance and how to fix it and can give you a quote.

Watch this series of videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkY3CjhI54M

And these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4ULq9svKZk

These are EXPERIENCED guys, with the RIGHT tools, so at least see what they cost. Watching videos cost NOTHING but a bag of popcorn and soda.

May 13, 2018, 10:30 PM
    Thanks again!
    The door switch seems to be fine (it clicks).
    No I haven't called Whirlpool because they don't work on the weekend. I called the local repair shops and none of them would give me a quote without looking at it... I was hoping to have a basic idea (of the cost) before paying for someone to come over, but doesn't look like it's possible.
    Expert

May 14, 2018, 04:49 PM
    Please keep us updated as to what you find the problem to be.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

May 14, 2018, 07:36 PM
    I'd go with a thermal overload too. Replaced one on a Whirlpool this January. Dryer vent ran 15 ft. through an unheated crawlspace and customer stated it hadn't been cleaned for years. Removed a 5 gallon bucket of soggy lint and pushed another large bunch out the wall flapper.
    Uber Member

May 15, 2018, 05:30 AM
    With power off you can check for continuity on the thermals, usually on the ductwork.
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

May 15, 2018, 09:51 PM
    Vent cleaning does almost nothing unless you take the drier apart and clean it. Lint lines the walls inside the drier and stops it up and is hardened like concrete everywhere. As old as it is you may do better to get a new stand-alone model that will be easier to maintain, like a new Whirlpool.

May 15, 2018, 11:13 PM
    I talked to an appliance guy and described to him my problem. He said it's very likely the control panel that's not working. It costs around $120 to replace the control panel, plus $75 each hour of labor so he doesn't recommend me to fix it, especially since my dryer is 18 years old (the lifespan of a dryer is around 17 years).
    So I will buy a new one. Thanks again for the suggestions!
    Expert

May 16, 2018, 03:57 AM
    How much was the service charge to confirm his opinion? Is it applied to the repair? Just curious.

This is the job he said is not worth it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW0NoA7d6WY

If he happens to be correct $200 bucks you could get another 17 years of use. IF he is correct.

May 16, 2018, 11:05 PM
    It costs around $75 to get a technician to come in. If he is correct and I get my dryer fixed replacing the control panel, my washer can break down right after. It's a laundry centre so I will have to replace the whole thing if either one breaks down :( We don't even have the physical strength to move the unit (which sits inside a closet) so can't get behind it to check.
    Expert

May 17, 2018, 06:36 AM
    Yes you are in the maintain part of your appliance life, similar to people that drive older cars. Should you fix it, or replace it for a newer model, always fearing the next repair of the older model. Peace of mind with new stuff has great value I think, and I can certainly respect that. Just one more questions though just being curious, were you not informed that the service charge is applied to the repair?

You don't have to poke around the back of your unit since if the repairman is correct about the control panel, then it's accessed from the front where the settings buttons are. Most things are done from the front as this series of videos illustrates quite well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88mucNvq6os

My bad for not using stack unit videos before. I just want you to be fully informed on the facts, before you make a decision because of fear, and frustration. Let me be honest here as I don't regard a repairman that rather not fool with certain jobs and recommends you buy a new one as a very good source of FACTS.

As jobs go this one is a piece of cake for a qualified certified technician.

May 18, 2018, 11:02 PM
    Thanks again talaniman. I've talked to a number of repairs shops and none of them would apply the $75 diagnosis fee to the repair fee.

Let me borrow some tools to open up the machine. Since it's not working so I suppose I can't do any more damage. Thanks for the link.
    Expert

May 19, 2018, 07:10 AM
    No manual or instruction sheet taped inside the access door at the bottom of the washer? This will also give you your model number and instruction what to look for. You can waste a lot of time and money changing electronic doohickey's that don't solve the problem. Without an ohmmeter and knowing how to use it it's luck to just fool with easy to change parts and get the problem solved. A broken belt can stop the dryer motor from engaging, as well as a thermal fuse.

https://www.repairclinic.com/Shop-Fo...ol-Dryer-Parts Some videos included.

OR

https://www.whirlpool.com/content/da...43842-RevA.pdf

Page 22 Under dryer troubleshooting (manual from the link you provided) Bad start button??

I am shocked that SEARS cannot send a guy out to check your unit AND apply the call out fee to the repair bill, or recommend a tech that will. Well worth a call. What you live in the boonies... 8O

I would never employ a service that DIDN'T.

May 19, 2018, 10:40 PM
    Thanks. I finally found the model number (ylte6234dq0), but there's no manual/instruction sheet etc. There's a manual online but it didn't help. Don't know if the unit was purchased from Sears. It was already here when we moved in (so it could be over 20 years old actually). I will see what I can do once I borrow some tools. Thanks!
    Expert

May 20, 2018, 04:24 AM
    Sears generally services Whirlpool appliances no matter where they are bought. However you can also just contact Whirlpool directly if you are in the US or Canada.

https://www.whirlpool.com/ scroll down to service and repair https://www.servicebench.com/service...ription.action

Just follow the links or go right to Contact Us. Hope this was helpful and please keep us updated how you solved your problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dryer Repair [ 1 Answers ]

Here is a point of interest from one of the church members. Her dryer wouldn't start. It was out of warranty. GE said there would be a $89.99 charge plus parts. Turn out it was just the plastic timer knob which cost $36.00. But she was charged $167.00 She was charged under the heading of...

Is it worth it to repair 13 year old maytag refrigerator [ 5 Answers ]

My 13 year old maytag refrigerator with top freezor is not cooling enough. Generally is it worth repairing or should I buy new?

Gas dryer repair [ 1 Answers ]

How do I remove the front panel of my Kenmore Electric Dryer? I am able to get the bottom section loose but I can not disengage the top part of the front panel.

View more questions Search