Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    glnzo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2018, 02:22 PM
    Saltbox roof framing
    I am building a 12x20 saltbox shed. The front wall is 14.25" higher than the rear wall. I would like to have my front RUN 5' and he back run 7' and I am having a hard time trying to figure out the height of my ridge board for a 6/12 pitch from the top plate to bottom of 2x8 ridge with 2x6 rafters. Thanks.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

May 9, 2018, 01:53 PM
    The 5 and 7 ft. are hypotenuse so they would be longer then that. A 6/12 would increase that even more. Lay it out on graph paper. 12 " across. Then run a parallel line at 14.25" above the 12 ft. base. Mark your 5 ft. along the base and extend above the parallel line until you get a 6/12 pitch. Here is a link

https://www.mycarpentry.com/roof-pitch-calculator.html
    Just as easy is to use a degree system, 6/12 is 26.5*. Lay out the base line, set a perpendicular line at 5' and use a protractor set to 26.5* and see where the angle line contacts the perpendicular line. Now you have 3 sides and can also measure the roof rafter.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gable Roof Framing [ 6 Answers ]

I'm building a 10' x 8' gable roof shed. Can I frame the roof on the 10 ft. span (gable end) instead of the 8 ft. span? Roof pitch is 4/12. Thank you.

Framing a flat roof [ 115 Answers ]

I am getting ready to embark on a home addition. It will be 10'x5' and will be three stories high. The rest of my home has a flat roof and for consistency sake we would like the addition to have a flat roof as well. Can anyone help me figure out how to frame a flat roof? The addition will be...

SaltBox shed 8'w X 7" d length of rafters? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am building an 8" w X 7" d Saltbox style shed and am having trouble determining Framing for my Saltbox roof. Can someone help me figure out the rafter lengths and framing for supporting it on the side walls? Thanks Jerry

Small roof to protect heat pump from snow off metal roof [ 5 Answers ]

We are getting a metal roof put on our old house. This means that the snow will slide off and land onto our air source heat pump. We need to construct a small roof to protect it. We were thinking of extending the 2 x 6 roof rafters another 4 feet and then having 2 x6 or 4 x 4's going back to the...

Roof framing [ 1 Answers ]

How to lay out and cut roof rafters

View more questions Search