Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    minibike6969 Posts: 78, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2018, 03:14 AM
    Recess lighting problem
    I have four recess lights wired in series and none of them will work. I've replaced the dimmer switch and still nothing,also I've bypassed the switch and connected the line wire to the load wire and still nothing. So if anybody can help me with this please do.

THANKS
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2018, 05:44 AM
    Why would you have wired them in series? They should be wired in parallel. Tell us how you wired them. If indeed they are in series, one light goes bad, none of them will not light.

Apr 29, 2018, 05:51 AM
    I didn't wire them they were already wired when the house was bought
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2018, 09:38 AM
    How do you know they are wired in series, that is very rare in house wiring. Checked voltage at the socket?

Apr 29, 2018, 11:16 AM
    Yeah they were wired in series,but not anymore now they wired the right way and working but the one I have to replace so thanks for the help.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Apr 30, 2018, 05:57 AM
    May have been wired correctly, in 1 light and out to next light may seem series, but actually wired Correctly(in parallel). Need to see if you have power out of switch, then see if you have power to first light, then second and so on. Use a Known Good Bulb, not just new bulb?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 30, 2018, 08:02 AM
    Just to mention, If they were wired in Series, All Bulbs would have too work, if one bulb was broke or removed, others would not light.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lighting/starting problem. Help?! [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 98 harley softail springer fxsts, I recently put a wiring extension on to accustom my new mini apes.. I wired them correctly and matched up all the wires and connected everything back where it needed to go/was before hand.. and I put everything back together and went to start it up and my...

Problem with Recess Lights [ 3 Answers ]

My costumer have a problem, the light bulbs in a resseset can start kliking after Short time of work. The max W is 75w we used 65w and still kliking, I moved the insulation from the and around the can, I checked the contact in the sucket,and I used switch not dimmer. Still kliking. Any one can...

Ceiling fan and recess lighting [ 0 Answers ]

I had a ceiling fan that had a light as well as recess lighting in the same room.. There is a switch on the wall with two slides.. One that says fan and one that says light. The fan one controlled the fan and the light side controlled the ceiling fan light as well as the room recess lights. I...

Recess lighting [ 1 Answers ]

I want to install 6 recess cans in my bed room its 20x20, I want to use 65 watt blubs,can I use 2 3way dimmers to turn on-off? Will it be too much of a load ? Will 14/2 wire be OK? My ceiling light is on 2 3way switches now.

Q's About Compact Fluorescent Recess Lighting [ 9 Answers ]

I have a couple q's about some of the compact fluorescent recess lights I've been looking at from Halo. I'm planing out some lighting for the front of my garage and I will be using these in the soffits in front of the garage door for accent lighting/wall wash. I'm curious what the difference is...

View more questions Search