Ask
    pastor1189 Posts: 1,538, Reputation: 3
    Ultra Member

Apr 28, 2018, 10:35 AM
    Ceiling Fan switch
    Ceiling fan switch wire. Fan and light.
    Installed new chain pull switch. Connected all black
    Together and all white together. Fan works, light is
    Okay. But when you pull chain the light doesn’t go off.
    Mistake in wiring
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Apr 28, 2018, 08:01 PM
    Where did you Connect the blue light wire? It should be connected to black if you only have 1 power lead.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Apr 30, 2018, 03:03 AM
    There are two switches in most light/fan combinations. One is the three speed switch for the fan and the other is for the light.

Which switch did you change? Also, the wires going into the speed switch have to be correct otherwise the speeds of the fan will be incorrect.

With respect to the light, is the light controlled by a pull switch or a wall switch?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Apr 30, 2018, 05:53 AM
    Your light switch may have 2 black wires, 1 connects to power coming down through fan, the other black on switch connects only to each of the sockets black.
    pastor1189 Posts: 1,538, Reputation: 3
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2018, 06:19 AM
    On the old ceiling fan. It had three bulb. Each had a black wire, I ran the switch wires
    To them, came on but wouldn't go off. Maybe the new switch is defected. Anyhow got a new fan with only one bulb.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 1, 2018, 06:35 AM
    Each of the 3 lights black wires needed to be connected to 1 of the switch wires, the other switch wire from power/switchleg, If wired like that and lights don't go off, it is a bad light switch.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Where do the wires go for a light switch on a hunter ceiling fan. Switch was removed [ 2 Answers ]

I removed the two wire light switch (ZE-109) for a hunter ceiling fan, but did not take a picture of where the wires go.

Ceiling light wiring-1 dimmer switch and 1 wall switch [ 2 Answers ]

My new ceiling light has black,white and green wires. My ceiling box has 1 single black,1 copper, 2 white grouped together and 2black and a 1white grouped together. How do I connect my new light with only 3 wires to all the ceiling box wires. I have a dimmer switch on one side of the room and a...

Swapping Dual Light Switch for Dimmer/Three Position Switch for Ceiling Fan [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to swap out a dual switch for a switch that has a dimmer for the ceiling fan light and a three position switch to control the fan. The original wiring had white to white on switch, black to black on switch, and one black from light connected to the top switch pole and the other black...

View more questions Search