Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cynder Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2018, 07:49 PM
    DIY Generator
    I am doing a science project where I create energy using motors. I don't have access to big wind turbines so I went out and bought a whole bunch of hair dryers. I think they are DC motors but I'm not sure. I would like to power a big light. My thought was that I could line them all up in a row and turn them with a gear system to create the power to send to the big light. I have gone about this several ways with no success. Here are my main questions: How many motors would I need to greater enough power to light up the bigger light? What circuitry do I need to have to make the energy? Are these even the right motors to do what I'm trying to do? Just ask for more specifics if needed. I am quite new at this so I would love step by step help.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2018, 07:55 PM
    Try it with DC motors...
    Appzalien Posts: 540, Reputation: 57

May 3, 2018, 10:15 AM
    Not all types of motors can create electricity when turned manually. I would suggest to you to do a search for types of DC motors that can generate electricity when turned. Motors work through electricity and magnetism. Some motors actually have magnets in them, I suspect those are the ones that can generate. Motors whose magnetism is created when power is applied probably can not. Motors that have magnets inside, will allow you to feel the force of the magnets on the armature as you turn it by hand. If you can't feel that magnetic indentation when turning the armature I doubt it can generate. How about a bicycle head lamp generator.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

May 13, 2018, 08:13 AM
    How big are the lights your trying to light up ? Im asking because there is a huge difference between incandesent and LED lights and the voltages / amperage needed to turn on. Also if your looking to do many lights at one time you could try an automotive generator or alternator. They work well for what your trying to do.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

H451CS-w generator has no power from generator plug tested wires no power [ 0 Answers ]

I have a Porter cable h451cs-w 9000surge /4500 continues has only 57hours run grate but not getting any power from wiring harness I tested all pins only getting like. 25 .30 I replaced the bored still no power any suggestions on troubleshooting

Can I hook up my welder to my generator the generator has a 4 wire plug my welder is [ 0 Answers ]

Can I hook up my welder to my generator the gen. has a 4 wire 240v plug welder is 3 wire?

Generator wiring: new generator gfci breaker tripping [ 2 Answers ]

Generator wiring: I have a new honda generator. I ran 3 wires from the garage to the transfer switch in the house. When I start up and throw in the breaker on the generator, its GFCI trips immediately. It is a long run (125ft) run to the house and I used heavy wires. But I only ran 3 (blk,...

Connecting Generator to Generator Transformer. [ 0 Answers ]

For connecting 7 MW generator to generator transformer, which is better cable or NSPB ?

I require for a Power Plus 5000 Generator 1 generator under following specifications: [ 1 Answers ]

I require for a Power Plus 5000 Generator 1 generator under following specifications: 5000 Watts, 120V, 1 Phase, 60 Hz at 3600 RPM, 3720 RPM at no-load. Thank you, Publio

View more questions Search