Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    onemoremile88 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2018, 03:59 PM
    Regaining German citizenship
    I was born to German parents in Augsburg, Germany. We immigrated to the United States in the 1950s when I was 3.5 years old. My parents became naturalized American citizens, and as a result, I became a naturalized American citizen. I would like to consider regaining my German citizenship in addition to my American citizenship. Is that possible? Where should I start? Thanks in advance for your help.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 21, 2018, 12:38 PM
    You start with the german consulate; but may be problematic. It has been too long if you don't have birth certs for both your parents and you.
    newacct Posts: 321, Reputation: 21

Apr 21, 2018, 09:35 PM
    I think that if you want to naturalize to get German citizenship now, they would require you to renounce US citizenship as a prerequisite.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 22, 2018, 04:14 PM
    You can have dual citzenship but reclaiming your German citizenship won't be easy.
    kcomissiong Posts: 1,166, Reputation: 276
    Ultra Member

May 10, 2018, 09:11 AM
    Just from reading the German visa website, it appears that naturalization in the US renounced the German citizenship of your family. The only option you have at this point is to naturalize as a German citizen, which requires the following:

• You must have lived in Germany on a residence permit for at least 8 years, or
    • You must have lived in Germany on a residence permit for 7 years and attended an integration course (this becomes 6 years on special integration circumstances)
    • You must prove German language proficiency of at least B1
    • You must be financially able to support yourself and your family without any help from the state
    • You must be a law-abiding citizen with no criminal record
    • You must pass a citizenship test
    • You must renounce any previous citizenships

You cannot hold dual citizenship in the US and Germany unless you have a German parent, which naturalization eliminated, so you would have to renounce your US citizenship.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I reclaim my German citizenship if I never renounced after dual citizenship? [ 3 Answers ]

I was born in 1974 in Germany to American born military parents. I never renounced my citizenship when it was US/German dual. Can I still apply for German citizenship or somehow reclaim it? I know the laws have varied since the reunification but I want to move Ireland and I believe my ancestry goes...

Do I qualify for German citizenship if Grandfather was German? [ 1 Answers ]

If my grandfther was German but My mother was born there but soon after moved to another country when her parents divorced and I became a citizen of another country through birth, do I qualify for German citizenship due to my Grandfather being German? I was born in the 1980's

Can I get German Citizenship with German Ancestry? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have a German grandmother and my mother was also born in Germany. I have original birth certificates from Berlin for my Mother. She later became a Pakistani citizen when she married my father and I was born in Pakistan. Can I get German Ancestry on the basis of my German grandmother and...

If my mom was a german citizen can I gain german citizenship [ 0 Answers ]

My mom was born in Germany in 1968 and moved to Canada when she was three years old. In her twenties she gained Canadian citizenship. I was born in 1994 in Canada. Am I able to gain German citizenship or dual Canadian-German citizenship as a result of her being German decent? I have been unable to...

German citizenship [ 0 Answers ]

Hi, just wondering if I qualify for dual citizenship. My father was born in Germany in 1933, came to Canada around 1957. I was born in 1985 in Canada-where I still reside. His family is all still in the EU, My mother was born in Canada but her parents were both born and raised in Germany as well....

View more questions Search