Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ghazkhull Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2018, 03:10 PM
    Is a verbal contract regarding equipment rental binding in Ohio?
    I entered an agreement with a friend, where I allowed him to rent my p.a. equipment for his side work as a wedding DJ. We had an agreement on the price he would pay, which was later modified to a lesser amount. In the end, he quit paying altogether and I am now getting my equipment back, some of which was damaged under his care.

The agreement was for a piece of his flat rate and he covers the costs of any damage incurred to my equipment. My mixer has a damaged channel, now, and he hasn't paid me in awhile. I don't know how much the repairs would add up to, but the $$ owed is in the $4-5,000 range.

Is this contract legally binding in Ohio (Hamilton county)? Am I able to take legal action against him for the money owed me?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 20, 2018, 04:53 PM
    For that kind of money you may be better served with an attorney and make him pay for that too. It sounds like this goes beyond a small claims court and local laws apply for damages, which you haven't even documented and got repair costs for. By chance did you have insurance on your equipment?

Apr 20, 2018, 06:04 PM
    Thanks for your reply, Talaniman.

No, no insurance on the equipment. It's old used, from ages ago, when I was in a band. It would probably cost more to fix the bad channel on the mixer than to just buy a new one, but I haven't looked into that yet.

I think my biggest hurdle in this situation is that this was a friend of mine, so I wasn't aggressively seeking my due payment. This has been going on for some time, now. Most of his jobs were weddings and a Friday night gig at a local dive bar. In all of these gigs, he's paid in cash and, in the case of the bars, cash + $150 bar tab. There's no paper trail of payments or jobs he's done, so that adds to the difficulty.

I was hoping for a little bit of knowledge before I broach the topic with him. I'm OK with getting lawyers involved, but I don't want to say that he's legally bound if, in fact, he's not. So, before I say something to him, I'm trying to find out if I might have a legal leg to stand on. I don't want to waste my time, or the time of an attorney, if I'm s.o.l.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 20, 2018, 07:29 PM
    A FREE consultation can't hurt, especially if your damages are higher than what you could sue for in small claims court. I'm no lawyer, but a friend would return my stuff and maybe we could work out something we could both live with, like reduced payments for longer, and get it in writing. Suing and winning are different from actually collecting which would take another trip to the courts.

Verbal agreements are usually enforceable. Judgements are rendered all the time, but collecting is the hard part if he has no job. Yeah I would talk to a lawyer, and know what the options are before you confront your "friend".

Apr 20, 2018, 11:04 PM
    Thanks, dude. Will do.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

In lieu of a contract not being signed, is a verbal agreement binding? [ 5 Answers ]

Our Real Estate Franchise requires Agents to sign an independent Cotractor Agreement in accordance with CRA. Sometimes these are not signed and Agents decide to leave and we have no recourse but to sue in Small Claims Court

Verbal agreement binding in state of Ohio? [ 0 Answers ]

I am an entertainer in Ohio. Had a verbal agreement with a club for a gig, sent out contract and posters, they acknowledged the received with a phone call. We never got the signed contract back, but they requested new posters with a name change of the club. Now they called to cancel within 10...

Roommate leaving- is a verbal agreement for the time she will pay rent binding in OHIO [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Ohio. My husband and I allowed a friend to move in to our house until she got back on her feet. Well, she's on her feet, makes plenty of money, never paid her rent on time, etc... general roommate horrors. Now, we asked her to leave about two weeks ago and that she be out by mid...

Is a verbal rental agreement legally binding in Ohio? [ 0 Answers ]

I live in cincinnati Ohio with my older brother. I've lived here for at least six months and I've paid 200 dollars a month to him in cash for rent. I've got no receipts for rent or anything like that. His name is the sole name on the mortgage, so I am just a tenant. I never signed a lease or...

Is a verbal contract legally binding for buying a car Ohio? [ 9 Answers ]

Hello. I purchased a car from a friend of my fiancé. I was told by the owner of the car there was nothing major wrong with the car. She assured me she would pay me back if there was something wrong with it other than what she had told me. I was unable to test drive it do to me not feeling well,...

View more questions Search