Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    imadthegreat Posts: 53, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2018, 11:52 AM
    IRS sent me a letter that I need to include form 6251 as I may be liable for AMT? Is
    I filed my return which included schedule D and form 8949. Some of RSUs were vested in 2017. In both cases taxes were collected and income reported on W2. I had no stock options that were exercised last year. So, I am surprised why IRS wants me to file 6251.

There is one thing I am wondering I might have missed. In 2016, I received some shares in a startup and I had to file form 83(B). Is that why IRS is asking me to file form 6251? I am confused. I really appreciate any help.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 7, 2018, 12:30 PM
    More than likely, the Form 6251 was generated by your tax software solely because of your income level.

How much was your Adjusted Gross Income?

Apr 7, 2018, 03:02 PM
    Thank you so much for your reply. Actually, I did it manually and did not fill the form 6251 which was required because of my gross income. I noticed that due to my gross income, I have to file form 6251. I just filed the form and my AMT is coming out at zero. However, I do have one question if you don't mind.

On line 38, Part III of form 6251, I have to enter amount from line 19 schedule D (as refigured for AMT if necessary). This line on my schedule D was blank because I had zero unrecaptured section 1250 gain. Is there anything I have to do here because of AMT?

Thanks
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 7, 2018, 03:26 PM
    Not that I can think of, but to properly answer the question, I would have to see your entire tax return.

I WILL do such an analysis for a $50 fee, but not until After 17 April 2018.

Email me if you are interested.

Apr 7, 2018, 03:39 PM
    Thanks a lot. I'll go over my form again and might reach out to you after April 17th. Thanks a lot for your help.
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 7, 2018, 04:34 PM
    Okay, I will be here

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I have to include my RRSP in Form 8938 or TD F 90-22.1 [ 4 Answers ]

Dear Sir/Madam, I have reported my Canadian RRSP (registered retirement savings plan) in the form 8891 every year. Do I have to include my RRSP in the form 8938 or TD F90-22.1. Many thanks in advance!

Where on divorce form do you include 401 amount settled on [ 1 Answers ]

I will be receiving $45000. From my ex's 401 once the divorce is settled. I receive soc sec disability and can not afford 20 percent taxes on $45000. Can he be required to pay the 20 percent

Do I include form 1098 T in my 1040nr-ez [ 1 Answers ]

I am a full time international graduate student who entered the USA on August 25, 2008. I did not file a tax return in 2009 simply because I felt my income of $1,712 was too small. I am trying to file my tax return for 2010 and I am having problem incorporating the form 1098-T in the form...

What should I include in my letter of intent? [ 1 Answers ]

I am applying to a Master's program in English and am required to write a letter of intent. I'm not sure what to include in the letter; they list nothing about how long it needs to be or even what I need to write about. Should I just say why I want to go to graduate school (I want to be a...

OPT-H1-1040NR-6251-Alternative Minimum Tax [ 2 Answers ]

Hello All, I am also in a situation which many have already discussed about in this forum. I have also transitioned from OPT to H1 in 2005. But since my status started in October, I had the advantage of filing NR form and taking advantage of the US-India tax treaty. However I had got the...

View more questions Search