Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    foreverromantic Posts: 177, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2018, 05:56 AM
    Dating web site question
    Recently I went on a dating website. I am careful not to include so much personal info.
    However, after a week on it... I actually received an E Mail on my NORMAL E MAIL ADDRESS that I use daily, a person wanting to meet. Of course, I deleted it, but I don't know how they could do that when everything goes through a secured website and no one KNOWS YOUR E MAIL ADDRESS. I guess these days NOTHING IS SECURE. I won't do this again.
    Any advice?
    Thanks
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 6, 2018, 06:10 AM
    Most of those "people" are scammers and not even in the same country, even less likey they are the same as the photos the use.. If you got it at a different email address than you registered with its coincidence... otherwise it was forwarded via the site. How do you think places like Craigslist work?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 6, 2018, 07:21 AM
    Go into your Trash file and look at it closely. It should be addressed/forwarded to you THROUGH the dating site. The sender shouldn't have your real email.
    Plus, deleting it does no good.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 6, 2018, 07:27 AM
    I get a lot of those type emails, from big name sites... funny thing is I'm not even on any dating website... I've been married over 26 years and don't even have time or patience for a mistress if I wanted to (what guy doesn't casually roll the thought in his head from time to time though, but why go through the crap of learning to deal with a new set of personal quirks and emotional baggage ) . I send them to trash and dump the trash once a week or at most once a month.

but Joy is right, just like Craigslist...they forward the email to you through their mail server. if you clecked and opened the header on the email thats usually hidden, if you can understand what you are seeing it will show you that. But its not something most people would understand, particularly the first time they try.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

We're dating, but he posted on a dating site! [ 11 Answers ]

We've only been dating for about a month or so. The first couple of weeks, he called me every day, sometimes twice a day. Then it was less frequent. I assumed he didn't have the guts to break it off, so I stopped calling him and he wouldn't call me for a few days, but he always called. Said...

View more questions Search