Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    foreverromantic Posts: 177, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2018, 04:59 PM
    Water over balcony
    I live on the ground floor of a three level condo building. No one is in the middle. On top floor a person, age 80 is throwing buckets of (something) over the balcony on the garden back side of the building. She does this at 8:00 AM and at approximately 8:00 PM almost on a daily basis. Naturally, I can hear it and SEE it come down. Some days she is not at home so it doesn't happen. I have told Mgt. and the Board twice in three years about this. She received a violation Notice, but it apparently means nothing to her. Her daughter was here from another state to try to get her to leave and sell the apt. They actually were selling and getting rid of things, then when it came time, the unit owner REFUSED TO LEAVE. Wanted to stay. I do not think I will let this bother me anymore. There must be something wrong with this person.
    Please advise.
    Thanks
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 2, 2018, 06:49 AM
    My first approach would be to ask them in person "what the hell are you doing?". Maybe they're off their meds. Or off they're rocker. Needless to say when the chain of authority has been tried and lacking, then a more local authority has to be called in. Like code enforcement or the cops. Maybe another condo resident knows them, and can shed light on this behavior.

Seems there are condo rules for this sort of thing. Throwing stuff over the balcony can be considered dangerous and reckless.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 2, 2018, 07:31 AM
    I agree with Tal. I also want to mention that it doesn’t appear to be much of a problem to you since it apparently happens twice a day, but you’ve only reported it twice in three years. Since it’s only been reported twice, the board doesn’t see it as an ongoing problem.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 2, 2018, 06:09 PM
    I agree, for all these years, you have not walked up two flight of stairs, and asked them "what are you throwing out" ?
    foreverromantic Posts: 177, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2018, 06:12 PM
    I did ask long ago. I said "Are you throwing buckets of something over the balcony?" Her reply was "Sometimes".
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 3, 2018, 04:04 AM
    Okay I'll bite. What does she throw over the balcony and why? I hate to assume you asked but cannot fathom that you didn't.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 3, 2018, 11:00 AM
    I'd think if it was buckets of "something"... particularly twice a day, every day.. there would be ample evidence of it, unless its just water... in which case lacking evidence.. its your word against hers. Absent video proof of it occurring and coming from her. Do be careful how and where you record due to various different states consent laws (not to mention Peeping Tom laws), so you don't find yourself in hot water.

Not saying it isn't happening....just that what she says carries same weight as what you say absent proof.

There are reasons why I refuse to live in a apartment, condo or even townhouse any more...or anyplace with a HOA for that matter....

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My balcony has been taken over by pigeons. How do I get rid of them? [ 3 Answers ]

I've had a problem with pigeons hanging out on my balcony for about 4 or 5 months. I contacted my buildings management and they sent in pest control after several weeks of having a cage set up out there, we caught 2 birds and I guess pest control thought that was enough. They haven't been back...

How to tell if a cantilevered balcony is safe [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I am purchasing a home with a cantilevered balcony, built in 1960. The balcony runs the entire length of the house (42 ft) and is 5 ft wide. The floor of the balcony is covered with plywood which is topped with outdoor carpet. The roof completely overhangs the balcony and the underside of the...

Balcony collapsing? [ 3 Answers ]

So the second story balcony is collapsing and I was wondering how to go about fixing it? There's also a light fixture in the middle of it.

Refuge balcony [ 5 Answers ]

What do you mean by refuge bacony? What is the requirement of this?

Outdoor Balcony Fan Light.. [ 8 Answers ]

Hello everyone! I have a fan/light unit that is going to be installed on the third floor balcony of a vacation home. Are any special requirements in order since it is outside although it does have a covered roof and is 3-sided. Anhy help appreciated. Also I have (2) receptacles on each floor...

View more questions Search