Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kingandsona Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2018, 07:16 AM
    How To Deal With Opening Balances And Related Journal Entries?
    If you need to use an opening balance to setup new accounting for an existing business (like a credit card in use, but they only want transactions entered for the current year), do you have to create a journal entry later to clear out the "opening balance" category? I thought Opening balance should always be zero, but how do I get those amounts out of there?

So a credit card with transactions in December & January, statement date is Jan. 10; I need to reconcile it without bringing in all the transactions from December. So do I add those and create an "opening balance" with the sum? Then will it reconcile properly when I add all the January transactions?

Then, won't the balance sheet show that sum in the Opening Balance Equity account? How do I make a journal entry to remove that?
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Mar 25, 2018, 04:47 PM
    You just bring all the opening balances in in a journal detailing them. Since what has happened previously is not your concern and what you are dealing with is net equity

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to deal with Opening balances and related journal entries? [ 1 Answers ]

If you need to use an opening balance to setup new accounting for an existing business (like a credit card in use, but they only want transactions entered for the current year), do you have to create a journal entry later to clear out the "opening balance" category? I thought Opening balance should...

Preparing Journal Entries and Trial Balances [ 6 Answers ]

Exercise 2-4 Prepare general journal entries for the following transactions of a new business called Pose for Pics. Aug. 1 Hashim Paris, the owner, invested $7,500 cash and $32,500 of photography equipment in the business. 1 Paid $3,000 cash for an insurance policy covering the next 24...

What are the journal entries used related to patent? [ 4 Answers ]

:confused: What are the journal entries used related to patent? And the computations used in getting it? Thanks.. ;)

View more questions Search