Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Seniorita Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2007, 08:29 PM
    Statistics & Probability. Need solutions &/or answers to all before 4/19
    CH12
    Use the following to answer questions A-B.

A roulette wheel has 38 slots in which the ball can land. Two of the slots are green, 18 are red and 18 are black. The ball is equally likely to land in any slot. The roulette wheel is going to be spun twice and the outcomes of the two spins are independent.

A. The probability that it lands on red both times is

B. The probability that it never lands on green is

Use the following to answer questions C-E.

In an exclusive suburb of Chicago, 55% of the families are members of the golf course, 40% are members of the tennis club, and 15% are members of both the golf course and tennis club.

C. The proportion of families that are members of the golf course but not the tennis club is

D. The proportion of families that are neither members of the golf course nor the tennis club is

E. The proportion of families that are members of the golf course but not the tennis club or the tennis club but not the golf course is

CH 11

F. Sale of eggs that are contaminated with salmonella can cause food poisoning among consumers. A large egg producer takes an SRS of 200 eggs from all the eggs shipped in one day. The laboratory reports that 11 of these eggs had salmonella contamination. Unknown to the producer, 0.2% (two-tenths of one percent) of all eggs shipped had salmonella. In this situation

G. A national survey interviewed 3,800 people age 18 and older nationwide by telephone. One question asked was the annual income of the person. Of those surveyed, the average annual income was found to be $42,010. A statistic in this situation is

H. A national survey interviewed 3,800 people age 18 and older nationwide by telephone. One question asked was about the annual income of the person. Of those surveyed, the average annual income was found to be $42,010. If the survey had interviewed only 1,000 people, which of the following would be true?

I. The law of large numbers states that as the number of observations drawn at random from a population with finite mean m increases, the mean of the observed values

J. Suppose there are three balls in a box. On one of the balls is the number 1, on another is the number 2, and on the third is the number 3. You select two balls at random and without replacement from the box and note the two numbers observed. Let X be the total of these two numbers. The distribution of values taken by X in all possible samples of size 2 is
    K. The sampling distribution of a statistic is

L. I flip a coin ten times and record the proportion of heads I obtain. I then repeat this process of flipping the coin ten times and recording the proportion of heads obtained many, many times. When done, I make a histogram of my results. This histogram represents

M. Suppose there are three balls in a box. On one of the balls is the number 1, on another is the number 2, and on the third is the number 3. You select two balls at random and without replacement from the box and note the two numbers observed. Let X be the sum of these numbers. You find that the mean of the sampling distribution of X is smaller than 6, the sum of the numbers on all the balls in the box. As an estimate of the sum of the numbers on all the balls in the box, X is

N. A statistic is said to be unbiased if

O. The variability of a statistic is described by

CH 13

P. A small school club has 16 students with 12 males and 4 females. Two representatives are needed to meet with the principal. The names of the 16 students are put in a hat, and 2 are selected at random to represent the club. Let X be the number of males selected. Then X has

Q. A small class has 10 students. Five of the students are male and 5 are female. I write the name of each student on a 3 by 5 card. The cards are shuffled thoroughly and I choose one at random, observe the name of the student, and replace it in the set. The cards are thoroughly reshuffled and I again choose a card at random, observe the name, and replace it in the set. This is done a total of four times. Let X be the number of cards observed in these four trials with a name corresponding to a male student. The random variable X has which of the following probability distributions?

R. For which of the following counts would a binomial probability model be reasonable?

S. A set of 10 cards consists of 5 red cards and 5 black cards. The cards are shuffled thoroughly and I choose one at random, observe its color, and replace it in the set. The cards are thoroughly reshuffled, and I again choose a card at random, observe its color, and replace it in the set. This is done a total of four times. Let X be the number of red cards observed in these four trials. The mean of X is

T. A deck of cards is shuffled, and I choose one at random, observe its color, and replace it in the set. The cards are thoroughly reshuffled, and I again choose a card at random, observe its color, and replace it in the set. This process is repeated until I get a red card with X denoting the number of draws required. The random variable X has which of the following probability distributions?

U. If X has a binomial distribution with 20 trials and a mean of 5, then the success probability p is

V. If X is B(n = 4, p = 1/4), the variance of X is

W. In an instant lottery, your chances of winning are 0.2. If you play the lottery five times and outcomes are independent, the probability that you win at most once is

X. In an instant lottery, your chances of winning are 0.2. If you play the lottery five times and outcomes are independent, the probability that you win all five times is

The superintendent of a large school district reads that 60% of middle school students have a personal site on myspace.com. She selects a sample of 50 middle school students at random from her district and has them complete a small survey. One of the questions asks if they have a personal site on myspace.com. Let X denote the number in the sample that say they have such a site.
    Y. The mean of X is

Ch 14

Z. A level 0.90 confidence interval is

A2. The upper 0.01 critical value of the standard normal distribution is

B2. A 99% confidence interval for the mean m of a population is computed from a random sample and found to be 6 ± 3. We may conclude

C2. I collect a random sample of size n from a population and from the data collected compute a 95% confidence interval for the mean of the population. Which of the following would produce a new confidence interval with larger width (larger margin of error) based on these same data?

Use the following to answer questions N2-O2.
    A medical researcher treats 100 subjects with high cholesterol with a new drug. The average decrease in cholesterol level is = 80 after two months of taking the drug. Assume that the decrease in cholesterol after two months of taking the drug follows a normal distribution, with unknown mean m and standard deviation s = 20.

D2. A 90% confidence interval for m is

E2. Which of the following would produce a confidence interval with a smaller margin of error than the 90% confidence interval you computed above?

Use the following to answer questions P2-Q2
    F2. You measure the lifetime of a random sample of 25 tires of a certain brand. The sample mean is = 50 months. Suppose that the lifetimes for tires of this brand follow a normal distribution, with unknown mean m and standard deviation s = 5 kg. A 95% confidence interval for m is

G2. Suppose I had measured the lifetimes of a random sample of 100 tires rather than 25. Which of the following statements is true?

H2. Suppose that the population of the scores of all high school seniors that took the SAT-M (SAT math) test this year follows a normal distribution, with mean m and standard deviation s = 100. You read a report that says, “On the basis of a simple random sample of 100 high school seniors that took the SAT-M test this year, a confidence interval for m is 512.00 ± 25.76.” The confidence level for this interval is

I2. You plan to construct a confidence interval for the mean m of a normal population with (known) standard deviation s. Which of the following will reduce the size of the margin of error?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 17, 2007, 09:07 PM
    It looks like you are wanting people on this site to do your homework for you.

Please see the following site.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/math-s...board-b-u.html
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Apr 18, 2007, 12:29 AM
    Geee whizz. Looks like you should have started your homework earlier. Good luck!
    galactus Posts: 2,271, Reputation: 282
    Ultra Member

Apr 18, 2007, 04:26 AM
    Unless a little flaky, why would anyone post a laundary list of problems like this and expect someone to feel compelled to do them. Straighten up.
    Seniorita Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2007, 03:33 PM
    Reply to comments given.
    Those of you who responded to my recent question... You're right. It's irrational of me to expect to get this completed by someone with no reason to do it. But I didn't just want answers, I wanted solutions, so maybe it would make a little sense to me. I've not been able to learn it from my professor like I thought I would. But there's another mistake I should've gone for help before now, but I didn't. But only because I was preoccupied with all my other assignments & my job took a lot of time as well. I couldn't do this, so I didn't worry about it but I guess that would be a reason to be more apt to do it. To learn it. Now I've waited too late and I have no idea how to fix this. I don't want to fail but I don't want to pass undeserving... what happens, happens. I just hope I'm not too late to make the best that possibly can happen, happen. I want to pass, but not dishonestly.Therefore, I sincerely thank you guys for you're honest comments and for not doing this work for me. I never want to be thought of as "flaky", sorry for the appalling expectancy I gave anyone. I'm off to do some homework! I have the utmost respect for you guys & I hope you have a great day!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Statistics and Joint Probability [ 6 Answers ]

A mortgage company has found that 2% of its mortgage holders default on their mortgage and lose their property. Furthermore, 90% of those who default are late on at least two monthly payments over the life of the mortgage as compared to 45% of those who do not default. 1.) What is the joint...

400 amp service with 2-200 amp panels & 320 amp socket [ 6 Answers ]

Hi TK. I am running 400 amp service into my new contruction home. The electric compnay is running a single 400 amp line to the meter. I have to split it to the two panels at that point. You had told me once before that I need a 320 amp meter socket and then run 2-200 amp lines to the separate...

Statistics probability [ 1 Answers ]

I'm new to statistics and have a simple probability problem: The probabilities associated with the expected principal source of payment for hospital discharges in the United States in the year 1990 are listed below: Principal Source of Payment Probability Private Insurance 0.387...

View more questions Search