Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pastor1189 Posts: 1,538, Reputation: 3
    Ultra Member

Mar 14, 2018, 11:51 AM
    Power source
    Is it possible to tap into an electrical switch? To give power to a new outlet. There is no power source close by, except at this switch.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Mar 14, 2018, 12:36 PM
    Maybe, maybe not. Remove the switch plate and the switch and tell us what and how many wires are in the box. Is a white wire on the switch, perhaps marked with black tape? If so, no, that is a switch loop and no neutral so no. If there are bundled white wires an black wires through the switch, possibly so. Let us know what you find.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Mar 15, 2018, 02:39 AM
    Hi Pastor,

Given the age of your property I doubt very much this would be possible. A receptacle needs both Power (Black) and Return (Neutral/White) because it is part of a complete circuit. Power comes into the receptacle is used by the device plugged into the receptacle and the unused portion of the power returns back to the circuit.

Switches interrupt the Power Source only. They do not use the "Neutral". Power is routed from the source to the switch and then back to the device that needs the power.

The NEC currently requires that all switch outlets have a Neutral present in the box, even if it is capped off. This is because there are so many specialty switches that now require the Neutral.

Previously, if a Neutral was required at a switch outlet the bare ground would be used, but that put current on an uninsulated wire which is a serious fire exposure.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2018, 11:31 AM
    One way to do this if it was a switch loop and No Neutral, is to, go to the light and wire so it is live all the time, reidentify the switch wire to a Neutral wire, and install receptacle in that switchbox or extend to further location. Then have the light controlled by a pull chain or other switch. Good Luck
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Mar 25, 2018, 11:19 AM
    What did you Figure? Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a power tool designed for 220V 60hz be used on a 230V 50hz power source safely? [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to purchase a specific power tool (Groove cutter) not available in my country but would like to import it from a country were the power source is different (220V 60Hz) and to then change the power plug to suit my own country (230V 50Hz). Going by a bit of Googling I have found that...

Can I run a 10-3 stw 30 amp cord 75' to rv from power source [ 1 Answers ]

Can I run a 10-3 stw 30 amp cord to rv from power source?

One power source, two switches [ 2 Answers ]

If I have one power source coming in, do I just pigtail the black wire to the two swtches and wire nut the white wires together? Also do I pigtail the ground to the switchor just wire them all together?I am running 12-2 wire. And controlling two different light sources. Also on 15amp breaker,...

How to run underground power source [ 1 Answers ]

I am building a small waterfall in my backyard. Would like to know easiest and safest way to run power for the pump. There is a plug in about 10 yards away.

Gfci power source [ 5 Answers ]

I had and existing gfci power outlet. I had some remodeling done, and now I want to put a new gfci power outlet in. Does this power come off directly from the breaker panel, or can I use an existing power source?

View more questions Search