Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    VanceVoj Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2018, 09:50 PM
    Science Fair Not -Working vacuum
    Hello, I am in the 7th grade do a science fair this year. I am making a vacuum cleaner, I used an average sized small plastic box, and a 12V computer fan. I also have a plastic tube that I shortened for the sake of making it not have to suck from so far away. My problem is, is that I cannot make it have enough power, I am positive it is getting 12 Volts of power from my 12V batter I got at ACE Hardware the other day. But it sucks little to nothing, I put it in backwards the way it sucks in. I am very stuck and it is due on Wednesday but I really need it done this weekend, help me please. Any thoughts or suggestions help!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 10, 2018, 05:51 AM
    It would appear that the box is too big? There is not a good seal on all parts?
    The fan, running on battery is not powerful enough to created the air flow needed?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 10, 2018, 06:10 AM
    Get a bigger fan. That may require a bigger power source also.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2018, 06:14 AM
    Fans are rated in cubic feet per minute. You can't create suction unless you can move enough air, and control that air.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Mar 11, 2018, 06:05 PM
    The fan you have is an open axial flow fan, will not develop enough static pressure. You need a closed axial like a vacuum cleaner or centrifugal fan. Plus, you need a high volume fan. A computer fan will not work.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Science Fair [ 4 Answers ]

I need ideas for my science fair... anything will help. ~~Thanks

What is a good science fair title if my science fair question is... [ 2 Answers ]

Which salt will cool a beverage the fastest with ice and water. And can u make my question better

Science Fair [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I'm doing an experiment for a science fair and I would like to know if you could tell me what is the general ingredients in drain cleaner and/or toilet cleaner. I trying to find out the affects of drain cleaner and toilet scrub on the environment. Of course, you can just give me a...

Science fair [ 1 Answers ]

I have a science fair coming up and I'm stuck on a question. I need a project that's fast, simple and will get me good grades. Please help Thanks

Science fair [ 1 Answers ]

Hello! My daughter isn`t sure if she would like to do her science project on yawning.She mentioned something about how much bacteria is on a vending machine coke can?I don`t have a clue!HELP! Does anyone know of any unique ones?Aparently that is one thing the judges look for.What about science vs....

View more questions Search