Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    svc03 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2018, 03:28 PM
    I'm 14 and of course I want snapchat. But my parents don't want me to have it. They
    I'm 14 and of course I want snapchat. But my parents don't want me to have it. They just don't like the disappearing photos and that the texts don't save by default. I know myself and I know that I would NEVER send anything inappropriate and if I ever received anything inappropriate I would tell someone. I also want the app for my friends only and would never chat with a stranger. What is your opinion?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 6, 2018, 04:15 PM
    Your parents get to decide this, but what I will say is this (to you): present your case to them as though it's homework. Make a list of how you help around the house, what chores, what you are good at obeying, and what your grades are in school (the biggie, of course). You could also look online for some solid evidence of how little goes wrong on snapchat, and at what ages other kids are likely to start using it. You could also ask for 30 days of it as a trial run, and you'll show them how it works, and let them try it. End with how appreciative you are that they are your parents! (Who can resist the soft sell?)

They have the right to say that your promise is all very fine but not applicable, any more than I can tell the grocery store I'll come back later with money. (I tried that, and they even KNOW me there!)

Of course teens want their parents to trust them. And if you are reasonably trustworthy, they do, depending on the situation. This one isn't about trust, because there's no way to know if something goes wrong.
    Plan your presentation for after dinner. Do the dishes and clear the table and ask for 15 minutes of their time. Let us know how it went.
    Oh and if you lose... don't look mad, just sad. Your reaction might be needed for another try.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 6, 2018, 05:10 PM
    As a mom to two teens, both older than you, I have to say that I like Joys plan. That plan would work on me.

One thing I can add, if I say no to something and my kids continue to ask, continue to nag, I will never reconsider. In fact, it will make my no a permanent no. So don't nag at them. Present your case, and if they say no, say, "I accept your answer, but would like the opportunity to present my case to you again in the near future", then let it go until the near future.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Snapchat [ 1 Answers ]

If I block someone on snapchat will they still be a able to see our chat (not the photos just the messages)? Even if they have saved it, will blocking them get rid of it? Help would be muchly appreciated Please and thank you ☺️

Snapchat Discover [ 0 Answers ]

I saw this music video on snapchat the other day and I can't find it. It shows a girl by the wall and dialogue between a girl and a guy. The girl says tell me we can make this work and the guy says I don't love you anymore and then she backs up and goes through the wall and falls out of the...

How to delete snapchat feeds from the galaxy s5 [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I just switched from an iPhone to this awesome Android. In my iPhone is the snapchat app I had an option to delete the feeds, but not in this one, or I can't find it. Can anyone help me with this? I have really old snapchat history that I would like to delete.. again I got the new galaxy...

My snapchat isn't working!! [ 3 Answers ]

I have the newest ios 7.0.2. and the newest update on snap chat but ever since I updated the app, the app just keeps on force closing, please help!!

View more questions Search