Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    EMudgeSr Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2018, 02:57 PM
    Peeled oranges
    When an orange is peeled is there a specific term for what remains other than orange? Is a peeled banana just a banana? Etc
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 6, 2018, 03:32 PM
    Orange after peeling = pulp or fruit.
    Banana after peeling = fruit

Mar 6, 2018, 05:42 PM
    Not sure if this is the correct place to respond to an answer to my question, but here goes anyway.
    Thank you Wondergirl, but I thought there might be a more specific term that referred to the "thing" that remains below the peel of an orange. I just used the word "thing" because I do not know what to call it.Is there nomenclature for the various components of an orange?
    In conversation most people refer to the orange before it is peeled as an "orange" and use the same word "orange" after it is peeled.
    I thought there might be a botanical term in describing the various components of the structure of oranges.
    To me the word "pulp" refers to the structural elements of the segments rather than the whole "thing" (I think some bottles of juice say includes 'pulp'), and the term "fruit" refers to the entity that results from the successful pollination of the bloom not the internal components of the whole orange fruit.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Mar 6, 2018, 06:52 PM
    From a taxonomy point, a Banana and an orange are actually berries, covered in a rind. The insides of an orange are called segments or carpels. To confuse you even more, tomatoes, cucumbers, squash and pumpkins are fruits, not vegetables because they have seeds in them and will not produce seeds externally. A carrot is a vegetable because the plant will ultimately produce a flower and then seeds can be taken from the flower. Pulp is just ground up pieces of the insides. Happy eating!

Mar 6, 2018, 09:46 PM
    Thanks, I get segments, but I thought there might be a botanical term for the collection of segments you get after the peel is removed.

The best I could come up with is a "peeled orange" which does not sound to me like a technical term that a botanist would use. But I am not a botanist so what do I know.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tape left on too long.peeled away the paint! [ 6 Answers ]

I waited 24 hours to peel away the blue tape from the walls and of course the paint peeled off with it! It peeled off in rubbery chunks. Now I have gaps of missing paint on the walls. How do I fix this?

how do you eat oranges/mandarins? Random I know [ 18 Answers ]

I was watching this crazy french movie the other day (son de mar or something) And I noticed They kept eating oranges by cutting a bit of the top and sucking them! How weird! Do europeans eat oranges like that or something? How do you eat oranges? How do you eat different kinds of fruit too?...

View more questions Search