Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dsgreenwell Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2007, 06:32 PM
    Roving odor in home
    Terrible odor lasts from hours to months. Just started in January, 2007. Old house, bought at sherriff's auction, living here 3 years. The smell travels from daughter's bedroom to master bathroom. These rooms are not connected. Master bedroom is a home addition basically across hall and diagonally from daughter's bedroom. The smell reminds me of urine, amonia maybe mixed with something decaying. If I did not have people here to confirm the smell, I would think I have lost my mind. I have bleached, removed everything from daughter's bedroom. We've checked furnace ducts, cleaned them. The smell is not in basement directly under her room. It's not in garage directly under my bedroom. The smell is not even in my bedroom it just shows up periodically in my bathroom. I kept thinking, "man my husband has done something disgusting in here". I never said anything to him, I just kept bleaching everything down and then the smell showed up in our daughter's room and disappeared from our bath for almost 3 months. It just returned to our bathroom today. What's crazy is, it left her room this morning and we didn't smell it in her room till 5 p.m. today. Weather is not an issue. It has been a perfectly calm sunny day. However, this morning was the first time since January that we did not smell it in her room. But, it is back with a vengeance. Significantly stronger smell in her room than my bath. She cannot sleep there. NO ONE SEEMS TO KNOW WHAT IT IS! Any ideas?
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2007, 06:50 PM
    We had a mystery stink in our workplace. We finally ended up replacing the wax seal in the toilet and haven't had any more problems.
    cruzen7 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2007, 02:34 PM
    MOLD - guaranteed. Same thing happened to a friend. The heat causes it to grow and that's what u smell.
    Josefina Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2007, 06:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dsgreenwell
    Terrible odor lasts from hours to months. Just started in January, 2007. Old house, bought at sherriff's auction, living here 3 years. The smell travels from daughter's bedroom to master bathroom. These rooms are not connected. Master bedroom is a home addition basically across hall and diagonally from daughter's bedroom. The smell reminds me of urine, amonia maybe mixed with something decaying. If I did not have people here to confirm the smell, I would think I have lost my mind. I have bleached, removed everything from daughter's bedroom. We've checked furnace ducts, cleaned them. The smell is not in basement directly under her room. It's not in garage directly under my bedroom. The smell is not even in my bedroom it just shows up periodically in my bathroom. I kept thinking, "man my husband has done something disgusting in here". I never said anything to him, I just kept bleaching everything down and then the smell showed up in our daughter's room and disappeared from our bath for almost 3 months. It just returned to our bathroom today. What's crazy is, it left her room this morning and we didn't smell it in her room till 5 p.m. today. Weather is not an issue. It has been a perfectly calm sunny day. However, this morning was the first time since January that we did not smell it in her room. But, it is back with a vengence. Significantly stronger smell in her room than my bath. She cannot sleep there. NO ONE SEEMS TO KNOW WHAT IT IS!! Any ideas?
    DId you get an answer?
    iscorpio Posts: 124, Reputation: 17

Apr 21, 2007, 06:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dsgreenwell
    Terrible odor lasts from hours to months. Just started in January, 2007. Old house, bought at sherriff's auction, living here 3 years. The smell travels from daughter's bedroom to master bathroom. These rooms are not connected. Master bedroom is a home addition basically across hall and diagonally from daughter's bedroom. The smell reminds me of urine, amonia maybe mixed with something decaying. If I did not have people here to confirm the smell, I would think I have lost my mind. I have bleached, removed everything from daughter's bedroom. We've checked furnace ducts, cleaned them. The smell is not in basement directly under her room. It's not in garage directly under my bedroom. The smell is not even in my bedroom it just shows up periodically in my bathroom. I kept thinking, "man my husband has done something disgusting in here". I never said anything to him, I just kept bleaching everything down and then the smell showed up in our daughter's room and disappeared from our bath for almost 3 months. It just returned to our bathroom today. What's crazy is, it left her room this morning and we didn't smell it in her room till 5 p.m. today. Weather is not an issue. It has been a perfectly calm sunny day. However, this morning was the first time since January that we did not smell it in her room. But, it is back with a vengence. Significantly stronger smell in her room than my bath. She cannot sleep there. NO ONE SEEMS TO KNOW WHAT IT IS!! Any ideas?
    Just answered a similar post, maybe this is under the floor, perhaps a animal has got trapped underneath and died there, is just a suggestion. Take care, love and peace anne x

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Home Odor [ 6 Answers ]

We have this odor that smells like mildew. The A/C guy came and checked out the vents and the unit, and could not find anything. Who can we call to figure it out. It's strongest just outside the closet containing the heating/cooling unit, and now it seems to be going through the vent. Please...

At home data entry jobs or home based business [ 0 Answers ]

Come April 8,2007 I will be laid off from my job and wanted to know if any of these free data entry jobs are legitimate or home bases business are worth doing. If so, where can I find them? Any information will be helpful. Thanks.

New home addition -home equity loan or remortgage [ 1 Answers ]

I am 54yrs old and have only 3 yrs left on mortgage.. I want to put on a new addition to house and looks like I will have to borrow $80,000.. Do I want to do home equity or remortgage? I would like to retire in 11 yrs or less

Schedule C home depreciation and effect on eventual sale of home in the future [ 1 Answers ]

I am debating if I should take depreciation on my personal home onto my federal schedule C. Let me explain, My gut feeling tells me that when I eventually sell my personal home I will be forced to add back all the depreciation I have taken on my schedule C for all those past years as income for...

Selling home/buying home simultaneously [ 8 Answers ]

Real estate agent and the mtg broker she works with want me to refinance loan with them, take equity out of it and buy a townhouse, move into townhouse while maintaining my mtg with my present home while trying to sell it. I called Wamu (my original lender) and questioned him about this and he...

View more questions Search