Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Camillahongkong Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2018, 09:59 PM
    Should I pay for a strangers phone
    I just came home from a night out and was definitely tipsy, I stand outside having a cigaret before bedtime. A stranger comes op to me 2 times asking directions, I try to help him, he takes his phone out and look at Google map, then he hands it to me for me to help him. I accidentally drop it right away.

Now he wants me to pay 260 usd to have it repaired.

Is that fair, I never asked him to give me his phone.

If he would have told me that it was an iPhone 8 and it would cost 260 usd if I dropped it, I would never have helped him.

Why is his expensive lifestyle my problem?

He says it's mostly my fault because I was drunk, but if he knew I was drunk why would he ask me to take his phone?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 4, 2018, 04:06 AM
    No, you don't owe him a penny.
    By asking a total stranger to hold it is just as much a part of his 'accident' as it would have been if he had dropped it himself.
    Plus there's a good chance he was trying to pick you up, and was hoping you'd invite him inside, and knew you were drunk, so that would make it all easier.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Mar 4, 2018, 07:54 AM
    No, you don’t have to pay for it. I’m sure you apologized. How would he be able to contact you? Even if he knows where you live, you don’t need to answer the door. He handed you the phone. It’s his fault.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 4, 2018, 09:40 AM
    I wouldn't pay him a dime. If you are in a civilized society, then he sues you for damages, and a judge decides whose right or wrong.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The kindness of strangers [ 5 Answers ]

We had a huge snow storm last night, and it's still snowing today. Worst snowfall we've had in years. My daughter is off school until Tuesday so today she asked to go swimming with a friend. So in the car we go, and we made it off our driveway, onto the street, and then no further. We were...

Strangers who want you to change because you're different, Why they are mean? [ 8 Answers ]

I'm a quiet person.. There's naggy women who keep saying "why are you so quiet.. say something" I'm a stranger adult and they're adults.. But why they treat me like a kid. I'm just a quiet person . Why do they want to shape me. I'm not even related to them, and they treat me like a kid. I...

Car rides with strangers [ 5 Answers ]

So I have this neighbor. It's actually two, a man and his wife. Both are very nice, very friendly, but I don't really know them. In fact, my family knows them, but I've never personally been introduced to them. I'm walking down the road to my home from my friend's house; I'm about a block from...

Strangers as roommates [ 6 Answers ]

Hi there. I'm just moving to a city about 200km from where I am now. I don't have any contacts in the new city so I've resorted to searching online for apartments and roommates. I've chatted quite a few potential roommates and finally found one guy who actually seems normal and reliable. :p We...

Lab pup going nuts in presence of strangers [ 5 Answers ]

Any suggestions for controlling a 7 month old lab who jumps onto new people. He is very obiedient when he is with the family but when new people come over or when meeting new people and dogs on walks he will get very excited and jump all over the person no matter how much I say "no", "off", or...

View more questions Search