Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cabethay Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2018, 02:22 PM
    Basement water
    We had a lot of snow this winter. Then we jumped to 50 degrees and rain. Now I have about 2 inches of water on one side of my basement and exactly where the deep freezer, furnace, water heater, dehumidifier, and water softener are located. It is a very old home and the basement has always leaked when winter snow melted or we had a hard rain but there has never in the twenty years of living here been standing water. I am afraid to go down there and need to know who I should call to come evaluate the problem.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 1, 2018, 04:07 PM
    Please do go down there. Your furnace is your most expensive item and it will help to know if it's on a small concrete slab, 2-3" off the floor. Same with the other items. If you have a camera, take pictures, or at least make a detailed list about what exactly is sitting in water.
    The freezer can be moved, and so can the dehumidifier.
    Do you have people to help with this?
    You can rent a Shop Vac that can vacuum up water. You can look for a floor drain.

2" is a LOT of water to end up only on one side of a basement. Are you sure it's that much? Or is the floor really that tilted? Is it concrete? What is your foundation made of?

You can find 'basement solution' companies, or you can call any plumber. They deal with water heaters that leak and break all the time. That's if money is not a big concern, or if you just are not a DIYer.

It isn't unusual to go many years without standing water, and then have it happen.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 2, 2018, 10:00 AM
    Call plumber or handyman to pump out the water. Or if you are a bit handy, you can go to Home Depot and rent a sump pump. Pump all water out before your appliances get damaged. Pump it away from the house so it doesn't flood your basement with the same water again

Once the water is out of the basement, I strongly suggest you locate the low spot and install some kind of water ejection system. It can be a simple pump set inside a large bucket, set in the ground with PVC pipe run to the exterior, and away from the house, or if your budged allows, you can purchase entire water ejection system and have it installed by plumber

Hope that helps

Milo

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

We have a link of dirty water,kitchen waste water from the ceiling in our basement. [ 6 Answers ]

The drip comes from the heating/ac vent in the basement ceiling about four feet from where the kitchen sink is above. The area under the sink in the kitchen is dry. The drip only occurs when the kitchen sink has been running but doesn't start until some minutes have passed and lasts after the...

Sewer gas escaping from basement floor drain. (trap has water water in it). [ 5 Answers ]

I have large amounts of sewer gas escaping from basement floor drain. The trap has water in it. I have flushed it out for 5 minutes with a hose ( while this is happening a large amount of gas escapes) after 2 days the gas is escaping again(from the trap) and the water in the trap looks nasty...

Basement drain keeps leaking water into our basement [ 3 Answers ]

We have lived in our house for over a year and have no problems with plumbing until this week. One of our basement drains keeps over flowing. Nothing is running. Like a dishwasher,washer, etc.) I noticed it during a heavy rain day but it has not rained in two days but more water keeps pouring out...

Daylight basement water leak, cause by broken water pipe or saturated ground water? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 6 units 3 stories with daylight basement apartment. Build in 1960. Just bought it few months ago. Last year the previous owner had a bad flood in the daylight basement after long period of rain. They cleaned out the area, remodel it. Good for few months, last couple of weeks rain long...

Water coming out of basement shower and flooding basement [ 4 Answers ]

I purchased a home about 2 months ago, and immediately there were flooding issues in the basement. At first I wasn't sure why the carpet in the middle of the basement was getting soaked. Now I see that the water is coming from the shower drain in the basement bathroom. This happened after the...

View more questions Search