Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bjh57 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2018, 07:48 AM
    My puppy is scratching and chewing on his fur with no sign of fleas
    He's constantly scratching to the point of causing patches of baldness and chewing his fur to where he's ingesting it and its visible in his stool. He's 5 months old and aggressive and likes to chew on everything. My dog is a cockapoo
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Feb 27, 2018, 08:19 AM
    And your vet says??
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 27, 2018, 09:28 AM
    One of several guesses is a too dry winter house.
    Please google 'winter dry air dog skin' or something like that.
    Walk your dog more, don't shampoo in winter except for this time, try some oatmeal/aloe soothing baths, no hair dryers.

But there are other conditions such as mange, so since it's so bad, see a vet.

Also spend more time with your dog. Puppies need training, and it all takes time. No puppy should be chewing on 'everything.' He gets dog toys and is patiently taught (praised)which ones are OK to play with.
    If you work a lot, hire someone to come in during mid-day, and also to walk him.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 27, 2018, 03:59 PM
    There are too many possibilities for us to guess.

This could be an allergy, as many dogs have them. Sadly, if it is an allergy you have a long road ahead of you trying to figure out what is causing the allergic reaction.

It could be a skin condition.

It could be a nerological condition.

It could be many other things, too many to list them all.

Time to see your vet.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dogs scratching fleas [ 3 Answers ]

Do to the economy, money is tight and cannot aford to go to the vet. Is there something that I can do to help my poodle and schiwawa from getting fleas?These are indoor dogs,our house is clean and they get a bath twice a week.Can you help me?

Puppy chewing on everything [ 5 Answers ]

My cocker spaniel Freckles is one year old. He likes shoes and socks. How do you break a puppy from chewing on everythin? Susie

Chewing,Scratching, digging till he bleads? [ 13 Answers ]

I have a 1 year old St. Bernard and he is constantly biting himself, scratching himself, and digging at his skin. I know he does not have fleas. I can not get him to stop this. He bites scratches digs until he wears the to layer of skin off and it is bloody. Not like gushing blood but like a rug...

Excessive chewing and scratching. Skin rash [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, My six month old golden retriever has a bad itching and rash problem. Took her to vet today, he did some scrapping on the scabby areas. He did not see any mange mites. Afew weeks ago she started scratching and chewing on elbow area. To the point of sores and bleeding. Last night I...

Puppy chewing on rug [ 6 Answers ]

Is there a spray or something you can get to spray on things you don't want puppy to chew on? He seems to have taken a liking to my area rug and nothing seems to deter him from it. He has lots of toys he chews on but ends up back at the rug eventually. He has also started playing with the puppy...

View more questions Search