Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Feb 23, 2018, 05:09 AM
    Texas has 172 school districts that permit teachers to carry firearms .
    How many of them have had active shooter incidents ?

On MSNBC this weekend, Sheriff Paul Cairney of Argyle, Texas, described the process by which staff members can carry firearms in the school district. The Sheriff said that the staff at the school who choose to carry a firearm go through an intense round of interviews and training before they are allowed to carry on campus. The MSNBC host was flabbergasted at the practice and asked the Sheriff about concerns for the safety of the students in the school when there are firearms around.

The Sheriff said the practice is heavily restricted, but the “time to do nothing is over” when it comes to combating school shooters.
    To become a school marshal, those employees must undergo extensive active shooter and firearms training with the state. They must also undergo a mental health evaluation.
    They receive a school marshal designation by the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement and must renew their license every two years by undergoing the same training and evaluation.
    Outside of campuses in Keene and Argyle, signs warn visitors that there are staff members who are armed and are prepared to protect children.
    Texas Sheriff Explains: Teachers Carry Firear | The Daily Caller
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 23, 2018, 06:40 AM
    Small towns have been known to do what they have to. It works for them and they have to depend on their own devices. Texas isn't the only state to allow teachers and school officials to carry firearms to class.

https://www.romper.com/p/what-states...proposal-19376

Twenty-one states allow individual schools and universities to decide for themselves if they will permit teachers to carry concealed weapons in the classroom. There are only 11 states in the country that have laws which prohibit carrying handguns on school or university property...
    There are only 11 states in the country that have laws which prohibit carrying handguns on school or university property.
    Oliver2011 Posts: 2,606, Reputation: 746
    Ultra Member

Feb 23, 2018, 08:27 AM
    I am all for it. Something has to be done.

Did you read the text messages between the two brothers? The words they text to each other should never be necessary at their school.

Also what is wrong with one or two entrances into a school through a metal detector? You can have as many exits as you need per fire regulations. But only way in is through a metal detector. I am missing the complexity of solving this issue.
    Expert

Feb 23, 2018, 09:16 AM
    Oliver my first reaction to the Sandy Hook shooting was more cops around the schools, but I have come to realize that the community should be the ones to say what they want done, and how. As Tom points out many rural school here in Texas (And other states.) have had armed teachers, and administrators for a few years now, while in Chicago and big cities, they've had metal detectors for decades. So I guess for such a complex issue, I say listen to the locals. Sad the whole gun debate is about political agendas, and selling more guns, or banning all guns, but the solution is somewhere in between.

I can go for whatever works, and hope these bright ideas, and experiments don't get tested. What a world.
    Ultra Member

Feb 23, 2018, 09:20 AM
    Tal I posted that school specifically because it details the training that the teachers have to go through to be permitted to carry in school. I am actually conflicted on this issue because teachers are for teaching . Israeli schools have armed guards outside school . But there are a couple things to consider. One is the chaos of an active shooting sight. The other one is a financial one ......liability .

Oliver I have been an advocate of restricted entrance points for a long time .....actually since the days of Joe Clark at Patterson High School in NJ . He put chains on the school doors to prevent drug dealers from gaining access .
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2018, 10:40 AM
    I'm more into the conceal carry camp even in places that permit open carry (I can do both). If the bad guy spots you before you spot them.. they assume you are unarmed... open carry you might be marked as a threat by the bad guy before you even know they are there. Obviously there will be some teachers who would be so incompetent.. you don't want them to be armed, and why it should be voluntary, but the average teacher won't have that problem... and many of them might already own handguns, and be proficient in its use. Many probably already hold CC permits but can't carry at work now because of the law.

When I was in High School a lot of my teachers were bad hombre's you did not want to mess with (even some of the female teachers)....and I wasn't in the inner city or a bad area. Our entire grade was small enough you knew EVERYONE by name (was 180) But those were back when you actually got a good education before the free-fall compared to other countries..

Teachers weren't always wusses... I saw my late 60's gym teacher who was about 5'4" and probably 140 lbs wet ... take down one of the biggest kids in the school like nothing. Kid swung at the teacher after being confronted in the hall....bam bam two punchs the kid was out cold for the count, knocked out, saw it happen. Guy was one of the troops caught behind lines in Battle of the Bulge, he was also a boxing champ in his youth. second time was a teacher everyone referred to as lardass. He was maybe 5'8" and easily 300 lbs... and it was all around his waist and hips. Saw one of the other biggest kids in the school hit him so hard in the head it bounced off his shoulder. Right before he grabbed the kid around the throat and crotch lifted him over his head, and body slammed him into the concrete floor in a move that would have earned praise by professional wrestlers. Both these kids over 6 foot and damn good shape whom every kid feared getting on the wrong side of.

Those days are past, apparently long past listening to all the whining on facebook by supposed teachers....spines stopped being part of teachers physiques and character. At least the vocal ones.
    Oliver2011 Posts: 2,606, Reputation: 746
    Ultra Member

Feb 23, 2018, 10:44 AM
    I am just amazed that it's taking this long to protect our children. I agree with the kid that said we should have stopped this after Columbine. This doesn't make sense that we don't enact a solution. I live in Florida and everyone has a gun (but me). I don't have a problem with people owning guns. My partner has three or four of them. I do have a problem if we don't protect innocent people like school children or Pulse night goers. In Orlando where I live, every time there is a mass stupidity shooting, we relive that Pulse night all over again. I am sure Sandy Hook and other places are the same way. It just doesn't make sense.
    Ultra Member

Feb 23, 2018, 10:48 AM
    Yes Oliver . You go into any other public building here in NY and you go through metal detectors at a minimum . Some of the NYC schools utilize them too. Schools should have at least the same priority as the court house .
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2018, 05:29 AM
    There aren't enough metal detectors to protect everyone, a shooter can just wait across the street
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2018, 07:04 AM
    yes they can ,but 'surprisingly 'they don't . There is no perfect solution because as you know ,evil exists and humans are imperfect .
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2018, 10:14 AM
    Something in common was every one of these shooters was a known problem waiting to happen. Not the nice Class Valedictorian that Turned Carrie over a Latte someone at Starbucks got a teeny bit off.

This last case was a kid kicked out of school over violent behavior, there were in the ballpark of 37 times the police were called to his house about his behavior, no arrests... its clear he had antisocial tendencies... The FBI was SPECIFICALLY warned about him by name... not an ambiguous warning... nothing was done.

Then to top it off... it turns out there were FOUR armed Sheriff's Deputies stationed there working.. who sat outside waiting refusing to go in and doing nothing. Nothing was ever reported to the Feds by anyone that would turn up on a background check.

And you have idiots claiming it's the NRA's fault, anyone but the people who were actually there and who actually had involvement with this kid in any way shape or form, those people get a complete pass from them...I keep waiting for the same imbeciles to blame it on Bush.
    Expert

Feb 24, 2018, 10:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Something in common was every one of these shooters was a known problem waiting to happen. Not the nice Class Valedictorian that Turned Carrie over a Latte someone at Starbucks got a teeny bit off.

This last case was a kid kicked out of school over violent behavior, there were in the ballpark of 37 times the police were called to his house about his behavior, no arrests... its clear he had antisocial tendencies... The FBI was SPECIFICALLY warned about him by name... not an ambiguous warning... nothing was done.

Then to top it off... it turns out there were FOUR armed Sheriff's Deputies stationed there working.. who sat outside waiting refusing to go in and doing nothing. Nothing was ever reported to the Feds by anyone that would turn up on a background check.

And you have idiots claiming it's the NRA's fault, anyone but the people who were actually there and who actually had involvement with this kid in any way shape or form, those people get a complete pass from them...I keep waiting for the same imbeciles to blame it on Bush.
    Or Obama! The NRA blamed it on dems and the media at their CPAC rally. I totally agree though the system and the protocols failed miserably. WTF?
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2018, 01:12 PM
    Exactly. Everything that needed done from a procedures and legal aspect are already there in place. And has been for a long while. If you have incompetent BOOBS working for the Police, FBI and every other related entity now.. you will still have the same boobs fumbling the ball no matter what you do.

First I see civil lawsuits in the future of those 4 deputies... Second - If that Sheriff is an elected position like it is a lot of places... I see him unemployed next election he faces. He might make it as a Mall cop... I seriously doubt any credible law enforcement agency would want him around.

Their might even be other Lawsuits over reasons that still haven't come out yet.
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2018, 01:50 PM
    meanwhile so far this year in Chi-town ;there has been a total of 365 shootings resulting in 63 killed . Almost all of them were from illegally owned hand guns .
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2018, 02:05 PM
    turns out there were 4 law officers who hid outside while the massacre occurred .

https://nypost.com/2018/02/23/four-s...hool-shooting/
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 24, 2018, 02:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    turns out there were 4 law officers who hid outside while the massacre occurred .
    FOUR good guys with a gun vs. ONE deranged teenager. And who "won"?
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2018, 06:59 PM
    they are not good guys ;they are cowards .The good guys were the teachers who put their bodies in between the shooter and the kids. The good guys was the JROTC student Peter Wang who before he was shot was holding the door so other students could flee. Other JROTC students shielded other students with Kevlar sheets normally used for marksmanship training .JROTC Alaina Petty and Martin Duque as well as Wang were awarded the JROTC metal for Heroism.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2018, 07:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    they are not good guys ;they are cowards .The good guys were the teachers who put their bodies in between the shooter and the kids. The good guys was the JROTC student Peter Wang who before he was shot was holding the door so other students could flee. Other JROTC students shielded other students with Kevlar sheets normally used for marksmanship training .JROTC Alaina Petty and Martin Duque as well as Wang were awarded the JROTC metal for Heroism.
    And this demonstrates that training saves lives but how do you have cowards on a police force? It is no wonder people want guns to protect themselves, but it is an illusion
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2018, 07:36 PM
    Clete.. its not an illusion... a LOT of gun owners stop criminals every day... the media is so pro criminal they almost NEVER report it. And Wondergirl... those 4 Deputies define what cowards are. 4 Trained law enforcement people who were NOT fresh out of the academy against one 19 year old snowflake punk... Police just like the Military are trained to work as teams... the punk wouldn't have stood a chance if they had done what they were paid to do. People might still have died, just not as many.

Someplace else there were people actually trying ot argue is wasn't the Deputies job to go after the shooter. Then why did they were Deputies uniforms and have Police issued gun if they weren't. You don't need armed law enforcement to play hall monitor for kids out of the classroom without a pass. And if it wasn't the job of the police.. then exactly who's job was it? It is anyplace else outside of that school.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 24, 2018, 08:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Wondergirl... those 4 Deputies define what cowards are. 4 Trained law enforcement people who were NOT fresh out of the academy against one 19 year old snowflake punk... Police just like the Military are trained to work as teams... the punk wouldn't have stood a chance if they had done what they were paid to do. People might still have died, just not as many.
    If FOUR POLICE VETERANS, well trained and armed, cannot stop a "snowflake punk," then what? Maybe if assault weapons (intended to kill enemies in WAR) weren't available and if all the trails to the "snowflake punk" hadn't been shut down by authorities....

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

carry permit news ....Reciprocity and Recognition [ 9 Answers ]

If you live in or deal with Viginia then please take note of changes that take effect Feb 1, 2016. If you have questions call ahead. Reciprocity and Recognition Virginia State Police - Concealed Handgun - Reciprocity and Recognition

Texas Government/Special Districts [ 0 Answers ]

Why does Texas have so many special districts, and what are some of the problems associated with them?

Gun Carry Permit [ 4 Answers ]

I don't think I have a felony on my record but was arrest for theft when 18 (30 years ago). The amount was change, less then five dollars tops. I was charged with the theft but do not know if it was a felony or misderminor and don't know how to find out. I would like to apply for a concealed carry...

Is California Coastal University accreadited and recognized by school districts? [ 1 Answers ]

Is California Coastal University accreadited and recognized by Texas school districts? Will it be helpful in furthering my educational career?

Taxes taken out of Texas teachers [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I'm doing a research paper and one of areas I have to find information on is how much and what type of taxes come out of a Texas teachers paycheck making 38,000 a year. If any one could help me out soon I would greatly appreciate it.Thanks :)

View more questions Search