Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Terricm12 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2018, 09:23 AM
    Can you put loose cellulose insulation over knob and tube in attic
    Can you put loose cellulose insulation over knob and tube wiring in attic ?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Feb 19, 2018, 12:59 PM
    NO. See prior post reply.

K&T. Uses Not Permitted NEC 394.12 2012 edition
    (5) Hollow spaces of walls, ceilings, and attics where such spaces are insulated by loose, rolled, or foamed-inplace insulating material that envelops the conductors.

The reason is that knob and tube wiring was designed to operate in open air. Any insulation covering K&T wiring will cause the wiring to overheat.

If the attic is easily accessible, why not be safe and convert to NM-B(Romex)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Insulation over knob and tube? [ 2 Answers ]

Can you spray cellulose insulation over knob and tube wiring in a attic

Compressed blown cellulose versus less cellulose in attic? [ 1 Answers ]

I built a box frame above my ceiling joists for future attic flooring to be added after cellulose was to be blown in. Everything was going smooth, until the cellulose blowers blew 6 inches of the cellulose above the frame! So, here is my question: should I move the excess blown cellulose to the...

Knob & tube [ 6 Answers ]

I have an old house (1865) and it has knob & tube wiring. I have a fluorescent kitchen light with an older flip switch which goes up or down. It is a three way, with a switch on each side of the kitchen, and I have to flip the switch several times for it to come on. My question is can this be...

Knob & Tube [ 1 Answers ]

I am currently remodeling my bathroom. Home built in the 50's with existing knob and tube. Bathroom has power coming into 1 switch that controls lighted medicine cabinet with outlet inside cabinet. Want to add 1 new light fixture, 1 GFI, and 1 ceiling fan (no light). Is there any diagram that...

Knob and Tube tie-in [ 13 Answers ]

I apologize if I missed this info elsewhere. I have an 80 YO bungelow with seemingly healthy knob and tube wiring. The house has a combination of old and new wiring depending on when past work was done. My question is what is the safest, code friendly or preferred way to mate the old K&T to new...

View more questions Search