Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jayarby Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2018, 09:18 AM
    Resign or retire
    I'm 66 years old, receive social security and I'm ready to leave the full time work force. I don't have a pension plan but have a 401k with an outstanding loan. My question: From a Human Resources perceptive, is there any advantage to announcing my retirement as opposed to just giving my notice?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 19, 2018, 01:18 PM
    You say there is no pension, but don’t menton if there are any other retirement benefits that the company may have, such as health or life insurannce. If not, then it really doesn’t make much difference whether you call your departure a resignation versus a retirement. The only considration in this case may be whether the company treats retirees better, perhaps with a nice retirement dinner in your honor or a parting gift (the proverbial gold watch). In any event your 401(k) becomes available to you as soon as you depart from the company, and so you should think about whether you will want to roll it to an IRA or keep the investment in the company 401(k) plan.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can my 401k be seized when I retire? If I still owe child support when I retire? [ 5 Answers ]

I recently found out that a girl I had been with in high school had my child after she had moved to another city. That was 20 years ago, and I am paying for the back support and interest. The court forgave the late penalties since I didn't know about the child. I need to know if, when I retire,...

Is it better to retire or resign from a long term job [ 5 Answers ]

Is it better to retire or resign from a long term job

Should I resign or be terminated? [ 19 Answers ]

I have been a county employee for 4+ years. About a year ago I took a promotional position in another agency which has a one year probationary period. I received my nine month evaluation on 4/30/08 and was told that I needed to make improvements by 5/30/08 and if I did not the agency would...

How Do I Resign [ 7 Answers ]

I have been working in a bank for almost a year. It has been by far the worst experience of my life, I have encountered racism, victimisation, harsh and unfair criticism and double standards apply to me and not my colleagues. It is apparent to everyone apart from management! I was put on a...

View more questions Search