Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    landowner Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2018, 11:10 AM
    County will not Demolish or or enforce tax lien laws to Sale Abandoned lot
    ]I own a lotin Frederick County, Virginia and would like to build a home on it. However the adjacent lot has a run down vacantdwelling on it where the roof is touching the ground and groundhogs are makingtheir home in it and dying, which creates an odor. The taxes have not been paidin over 25 years and the owners are deceased. According to death records and tomy knowledge they had one child, who is also deceased. I have not been able tofind any other living heirs. I spoke with the County about enforcing their tax lienlaws but they will not. I ask about them demolishing the dwelling and was toldthat it was too costly due to tests that must be run if they would tear itdown. I was told that I would have to find the heirs myself because it was toocostly for them. The county did place a no trespassing sign on the dwelling,but even with that, children may and animals will, enter the dwelling. It isnot that big about 10x15 (cabin size). If the county did decide to auction theproperty, I may not be able to obtain title insurance. I was told by a localattorney that I could not force the county to enforce their tax lien law inorder to purchase. I have offered to pay for the demolition but since I’m notthe owner. If I were to build on my lot and later try to sale my property, thisabandoned and run down property, that is a distraction, could prevent the saleof my property. What else can I do to obtain the abandoned property or have itdemolished?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 16, 2018, 03:50 AM
    A simple inquiry and offer is the usual way to go with buying property. Ask a local realtor for details, process, and procedure... and COSTS. At least you will have an idea of what you are dealing with.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 16, 2018, 05:34 AM
    You can hire attorney and sue the city to perform it's duties. Normally this will be very costly and always requires an attorney. (And it will bring down the wrath of the city code people upon your property almost always also)

Next you find someone, anyone that is even slightly related to the family and see if you can get them to make claim to the property and agree to sell it to you, if you take on all the costs and liability. Remember there is most likely 1000's of dollars of assessments against such a property , plus full back taxes plus late fees and so on.

But it is not easy and often not even possible. That is why there are 1000's of such properties all over almost every city.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Abandoned real estate, laws about it in Virginia [ 10 Answers ]

We own a rowhouse in Richmond, Va. The building has four units and one of the ones next door to us has been abandoned for years. It attracts vagrants and homeless people on the porch, which is open and inches from ours. The trash and food and urine left behind is nasty. The owner won't sell, but...

Abandoned Properties for Sale? [ 4 Answers ]

How do you find abandoned houses in southern California?

County lien on house [ 3 Answers ]

The County has put a lien on my house. I have been unable to pay the taxes for last year and may be unable to pay them this year. How long before they can legally sell it? Is there a way I can stop it from being sold other than paying off the lien in one lump sum?

View more questions Search