Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jljl Posts: 37, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2018, 11:35 PM
    Kilz Upshot for Ceiling Stains
    Hello, I have some water stains on my (popcorn) ceiling (pls see picture). From what I've read, it looks like I can just spray some Kilz upshot on top of the stains to cover them up. Is that true? The cause of the stain has been resolved and the ceiling is dry now. Thanks.
    Attached Images

ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Feb 11, 2018, 09:16 AM
    Kilz will work but it is a primer,not a finished coat. I use Upshot in difficult to reach places, but normally use oil based Kilz. Water based Kilz usually will need to be applied in a couple of coats . Use a dropcloth.

Feb 11, 2018, 11:29 PM
    Thanks for your response. So, after spraying Upshot, I will have to apply oil based Kilz to cover up the stains is that right? Thank you.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Feb 12, 2018, 07:47 AM
    If you use upshot, see if it comes in an oil base. Water base will work but from my experience it will require a few coats. The stain in the picture is pretty strong. Oil based will need 1. When done, you will need to apply a proper finish.

Feb 12, 2018, 11:08 PM
    I see. Thanks again!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pregnant and used kilz [ 1 Answers ]

I am 31 weeks pregnant and use kilz on a few spots in my kitchen is everything going to be OK?

Brown stains on kitchen ceiling [ 6 Answers ]

I noticed some brownish marks on kitchen ceiling where their were cracks in the plaster.house is 100 years old and has always had cracks in the ceiling.I chopped out the cracks and filled them in,painted the whole ceiling in moisture resisting paint and it still shows trough but even worse now.what...

I have water stains on my ceiling. [ 0 Answers ]

I have water stains on my living room ceiling on the exterior wall. I have been in the attic and found that there is no vapour barrier above the living room and that the insulation is pushed up against the roof by the exterior walls blocking the air flow from the soffits. There is pink insulation...

Water on floor no ceiling stains where is the water coming from [ 3 Answers ]

Water on bathroom throwrug, no ceiling stains cracks etc. Attic over bathroom no leaks in plumbing under vanity sink or toilet. Where did the water come from?

What are the disadvantages of painting interior wood door only with primer (Kilz 2) [ 2 Answers ]

I am hiring someone to do the job but what would be the disadvantage of painting only with primer?

View more questions Search