Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lsmithson1953 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2018, 03:35 PM
    Back unpaid child support
    I just found out my ex-husband died in June of last year. He owed 15 plus years of unpaid back child support for out three children. The home he and his current wife owe was paid in full in July 10, 2010 as joint tenants. I have a copy of the affidavit of death of life tenant filed by his wife September 11, 2017. There was no will probated. Do I have any right to request a probate and put a claim in against the home which is paid in full for? Or do I lose out on all the back child support he owed my children. I have my divorce document stating the court ordered amount of child support due my children. This all occurred in the state of CA. thank you, Linda Smithson
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2018, 07:11 PM
    Spouse of ex was smart to not file probate, that way they didn't have to publicly post a notice to creditors or debtors. You probably wouldn't have noticed it anyway and the time to file has expired. With that much due, I would have had an attorney place a lien on the house a long time ago. How old are the children now? I would check with Social Security to see if children's survivors benefits may apply.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 5, 2018, 09:17 PM
    I don't know CA limit on collection, most states only allow collection of a specific amount of years late (depending if children are still minor or not)

Again, you needed to have filed a lien on the property years ago, and got a judgement against him ( did you not have any garnishment in place ?)

But you may call a local attorney but it appears that after the time to protest probate is over, it is too late now.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 6, 2018, 05:49 PM
    Do you also have a court order for child support, and a collection order to have it paid?

Collecting a Child Support Order - support_famlaw_selfhelp

If these steps where not taken before then there may be very little you can do now. Consult a local attorney for the best advice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Contempt of court for unpaid child support [ 6 Answers ]

This format is new to me, so forgive me if I do something wrong. I have read the stickies. Here goes. I live in Ohio. If I need to be more area specific I will be but I would prefer not to get too specific. To simplify, in October of 2012 a court battle of over a year for custody of my son...

Unpaid child support from my bio mom [ 2 Answers ]

I am 25 and my bio mom never paid child support in tucson az. I am married and 2 young boys. I am doing poorly financially, am I able to get the back child support?

Can a child sue his father for unpaid child support, Iowa [ 1 Answers ]

My son is due to true 25 yrs soon. Can he go back and sue his dad for unpaid child support? I never received one dime from his dad. I was on assistance at one point and continuously provided his social, address, contact information and employment information, however, child support recovery...

Deceased parent and unpaid child support [ 2 Answers ]

My child's father, whom I was married to, has back child support owed. He passed away a couple of months ago. He owned a home and property in Washington State. What legal grounds does my son or I have to collect the back support or the property? My son is his only child.

Unpaid Child Support [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I have a question. My father owes almost $4,000.00 in unpaid child support and recently took out a loan in order to pay it all. I am his son and am currently 22 years old and living on my own. A year or so back, my Mother was trying to collect child support and she asked me for his...

View more questions Search