Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joesregor Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2018, 05:39 AM
    Replaced Mohen 1222 with broken stem now leaks
    The valve stem on my shower faucet broke off. I purchased a mohen 1222 replacement cartridge at home depot along with the appropriate puller to extract it. Sadly with the stem off the puller was useless . Drilled out the core carefully not to come in contact with the body and vertically inserted a metal shim heated by torch carefully through remaining plastic cartridge body to split in half to remove stuck cartridge . Inspected the body fully after flushing out any remaining debris and wiped dry . Installed new mohen 1222 cartridge as per it's instructions and all was fine , at first . The next day I notice it had a slight drip even turned off all the way . This got worse after a few days so I took the cartridge back to home depot fearing a bad cartridge . Repeated the install with the same result . This has gotten worse of the last week and I am stuck for a solution . Replacing the entire assembly would be quite the project as the shower was refitted by the previous owner with an insert shower fitted over the old one . Is there something that can recoat the body even thought I can find no scratches or some way to shim the rubber gaskets at the inlets if not tight enough ? Looking for some suggestion that does not render it unserviceable in the future .
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 4, 2018, 06:29 AM
    I think you're saying that you screwed up the valve body. What's on the other side of the shower wall?
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2018, 04:14 PM
    Hello Joesregor Please Respond to Talaniman question, the only thing that I can suggest to take a small piece of very fine sandpaper slowly clean inside of the valve body flush out all the debris and try it may or may not work, good luck.

John

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replaced Moen 1222 and Poor hot water pressure [ 3 Answers ]

So, a few weeks ago, noticed my shower handle went haywire, I could turn it a full 360 when I should only be able to turn counter clockwise to "on" and clock wise to "off" Hot being the farther one to open. Now, 2 cartridges later both giving me same issue. I have great pressure for cold water...

I just replaced the cold water stem in my shower, and it STILL leaks. What ? [ 1 Answers ]

I had previously replaced the hot water stem without a problem. I'm not sure what to do next.

I tried to remove the cartridge with broken stem with screw driver and replaced it wi [ 1 Answers ]

I tried to remove cartridge with broken off stem with much difficulty,I finally pried it out with a screw driver.I replaced it with new cartridge,but after opening for vave for water to come out the water leaks out and drips.what can I do to stop it. Thanks, Don

Faucet stem leaks [ 3 Answers ]

My house was built in 1952 and the bath tub faucet leaks at the stem and I can't find a replacement for it, can you help.

View more questions Search