Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 28, 2018, 06:58 PM
    Lowe's work has gradually grown more nuanced. Lowe's work is more detailed, more advanced, than before.

I liked the film, but parts of it were heavily nuanced, and I probably missed them. The film had many details, many small things, or discussed things that the person watching likely missed.
    Allen Farber Posts: 191, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2018, 07:03 PM
    I now know to just use nuanced as if it means "small details" but if you don't mind me asking, how exactly did nuanced go from "making people feel a different emotion when they see it" to "full of small details"... does it still have anything to do with shade of meaning?
    nashmetal100 Posts: 12, Reputation: 3

Jan 28, 2018, 07:10 PM
    All right, so think about it this way. Let's say there's a spectrum that's only been divided into 2 colors: black & white. All right? But now let's say that there's a spectrum that has black on one end and white on the other but there's many shades (or nuances) of gray in between. Most would say that the latter spectrum is more graphic and detailed. This is why most people use the word "nuanced" to mean detailed. So for example, like you asked in a few comments prior, a nuanced discussion is a discussion that goes into great detail about the topic it's centered around. True, by dictionary definition, it means "having subtle differences" but us humans have kind of colloquialized it to mean "in depth" or "full of details" I really hope this helps. And just some advice, take it easy and live your life. Don't get wrapped up in all these semantics and drivel
    Pets Expert

Jan 28, 2018, 07:21 PM
    Very well said nachmetal. Hopefully this will help Allen understand. :)

Jan 28, 2018, 07:30 PM
    Thanks, man. I'd have to say that your answer has come the closest to making me understand. But do the sentences I posted previously have any relation to the original definition "give nuances to"? And like I'm still iffy about the definition of nuanced: "characterized by many subtle shades of meaning" like I don't really get how one thing (an argument, a book, a performance, etc.) can have more than one meaning or shade of meaning at a time
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 28, 2018, 07:49 PM
    Read this page --

https://macmillanmh.com/ccssreading/...v_6_3f_l2.html
    nashmetal100 Posts: 12, Reputation: 3

Jan 28, 2018, 07:54 PM
    No problem. I can relate to this kind of stuff as I grew up with OCD, granted it wasn't this severe but still. Anyhoo, if you're referring to the sentence "the effect of the music is nuanced by the social situation of the listener" then yes, the definition "give subtle differences to" does apply. But I don't think it means it in the sense that it makes the effect slightly different than another effect, but rather all the possible effects the music could have on the listener have been split into a spectrum that goes from "makes the listener feel sad" to "makes the listener feel happy" by the listener's social situation. Correct if I'm wrong, but I believe you said something along the lines of that a few comments earlier.

But then as for nuanced as an adjective, things get a bit trickier. If we're talking about an argument that's regarding taxation, "Characterized by many subtle shades of meaning" doesn't mean that the argument is arguing for or against more than one shade on the "opinions about taxes" spectrum, as that would be impossible to do. Because (I also believe you may have said this before) each specific opinion is it's own shade therefore someone's opinion can't overlap more than one. It would be impossible to have a far right and moderate left view on taxes. I'm not really sure how to articulate it but I will get back to you when I can find a better way to explain it

Jan 28, 2018, 08:00 PM
    I understand all of that explanation you linked to me. But what I fail to comprehend is how something can be more than just one of those things at the same time. Like how can it be cool and frigid at the same time? By definition, nuanced means "characterized by MANY subtle shadeS of meaning" notice how it says "many" and "shades" is plural. This means that if something is "nuanced" then it has to be characterized by at least two of those shades (cool, cold, icy, frigid, etc.) maybe this will help you understand where my confusion is coming from better
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 28, 2018, 08:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen Farber View Post
    I understand all of that. But what I fail to comprehend is how something can be more than just one of those things at the same time. Like how can it be cool and frigid at the same time?
    My husband is always hot. He sweats during snowstorms when he just stands still, much less when shoveling snow. I wear sweaters even in midsummer, am always cold. My husband says it's slightly cool on a 25-degree snowy day; I say it's frigid.
    Pets Expert

Jan 28, 2018, 08:31 PM
    WG's last post should definitely clear up the confusion. It's like I was saying earlier with listening to music, you and I will hear different things when we listen to the same song, we'll feel a different way. The song might make you feel sad, but it makes me feel happy. You might like the song and I dislike it. The song can be both because you and I are different people and will feel differently about it.
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Jan 28, 2018, 10:14 PM
    But what I fail to comprehend is how something can be more than just one of those things at the same time. Like how can it be cool and frigid at the same time?.... This means that if something is "nuanced" then it has to be characterized by at least two of those shades (cool, cold, icy, frigid, etc.) maybe this will help you understand where my confusion is coming from better

Respectfully - you missed my point. (See # 34 ) The thing itself is NOT what is nuanced. A thing is either cold OR hot - it cannot be both at the same time. The nuance comes from "outside" the thing. It comes from an outside FRAME OF REFERENCE.

Analogies (never perfect but helpful) are the notion of "objective/subjective", "absolute/relative". The nuance (forget noun or adjective - that's just confusing you) lies in the subjective understanding/expression of an object. The object does not have a meaning beyond one meaning at a time - this is what you say you fail to comprehend. The additional meanings that you find difficult to comprehend come from the DESCRIPTIONS of the object - NOT from the object itself.

That's my best shot - good luck!

Jan 29, 2018, 04:34 AM
    Okay, so when they say "a nuanced performance" or "a nuanced argument" it isn't the performance or argument that's actually nuanced? Then what is?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 29, 2018, 04:38 AM
    Allen Farber, I'm going to say something personal. No more about nuanced.
    I tried very hard to be supportive and helpful, despite my frustration. But when you said (without addressing any one person, although I was doing most of the talking) that you felt that you were deliberately being driven crazy, I spent the rest of last night feeling awful. Hurt, angry, and guilty.
    I HOPE that you can understand that you aren't the only person in the world who matters, who has problems, who gets hurt. We here are all just people like you. We aren't a clinic or a school or a library or a reference desk. I am so grateful that other people jumped in. It was interesting and even fun at first. Now I've had enough with your obsession. You don't think about others at all.

Jan 29, 2018, 04:54 AM
    I'm not saying I don't care about others and I said that partly tongue in cheek about being driven crazy. And trust me, I know it drives other people crazy. My parents practically sent me away because of my obsession. With all due respect, if you or anyone else is on their whit's end about it, they can just not contribute or respond to me anymore. I'm sorry for the misunderstanding
    current pert

Jan 29, 2018, 05:18 AM
    I wasn't going to post again. Felt better by letting it out, and felt that you needed to be reminded.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 29, 2018, 07:10 AM
    I'm not saying I don't care about others and I said that partly tongue in cheek about being driven crazy. And trust me, I know it drives other people crazy. My parents practically sent me away because of my obsession. With all due respect, if you or anyone else is on their whit's end about it, they can just not contribute or respond to me anymore. I'm sorry for the misunderstanding
    My young friend it's fairly obvious you are aware that you have made this an obsession, so much so you are stuck and have become rather redundant, with your questions. That may not be a healthy way to solve your problem, or bring understanding to you. I feel it actually hampers you from getting understanding. No matter how many people have joined in and tried to explain this concept, which many others have difficulty with as well, that you overlook a basic FACT here. You do have some understanding, but refuse to accept the understanding you have, and want more. Like you want to be the expert at nuance. Does that serve some higher purpose? Clearly you have crossed a line and made a fairly low priority subject and bigger one that it deserves and are deprived of allowing yourself the simple thing of stepping back and re evaluating your own priorities and putting them in proper order. I don't think your parents sent you away because of your obsession, but to give you a dose of reality so you can learn tools to be responsible for yourself in real life.

This nuance obsession is the perfect example of you ignoring the obvious solution to your situation, learning to step back, and refocus on a higher priority. This may allow you to gain a healthy perspective of the overall picture of your reality and deal properly with your weakness of becoming easily obsessed over small minor details. Right now all you are doing is FEEDING that weakness . It's not a simple word that frustrates you and affects others, it's the way you allow yourself to be stuck on it that's frustrating.

The bottom line is being obsessed is NOT healthy for you or your understanding at this time and if you truly want to understand ANYTHING you must stop obsessing. You can understand that can't you? So forget NUANCE, how do you plan to deal with your obsession is what I want to know.

NOTE-You have no control over who responds or how on a public forum,
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Jan 29, 2018, 09:55 AM
    Okay, so when they say "a nuanced performance" or "a nuanced argument" it isn't the performance or argument that's actually nuanced? Then what is?

Wrong answer, Allan Farber. Well, you got me. You drew me in like all the others. I'm beginning to think you are a troll, feeding on the attention. The concept you claim to not understand is a very simple matter of word definition. Nothing more. Anyone can play with words as you have been doing, and make a mountain out of a molehill.

Hmmm. I wonder how a small molehill can be made into a mountain? What do they mean by "made"? Is it the same as making pottery? Making a mess? Making whoopee?
    current pert

Jan 29, 2018, 11:27 AM
    A new species of troll, Athos.
    This from a year and a half ago: ''I've tried a tutor, that's actually one of the first things I did. He couldn't even help me! He said I was "Unteachable". Don't know whether it's funny or sad, but he said I had "Too Many Questions".''

Allen has done countless 180s. When he's alone in his dorm room, he's anxious, suicidal, and homicidal. A wreck. Some of us are deliberately trying to drive him crazy. I can't help feeling sorry for him, because he can't get diagnosed, and that's just the start of the long journey out his particular hell.
    But when he's online getting a bunch of people catering to his obsession du jour, he's frustrated but in his happy place. I'm going to get all analytical on him and say that he doesn't really want to know what nuanced means. He wants us to be there for him forever.
    Last week or so it was about scenes from Gotham.
    A year ago it was accounting questions.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 29, 2018, 11:43 AM
    on their whit's end about it
    Just to further help you with your language-arts skills, the phrase is:

"at their wit's end about it"
    current pert

Jan 29, 2018, 12:01 PM
    WG, is this what you manage to deflect so deftly, day in and day out?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What does nuanced mean? [ 7 Answers ]

Yes, I have tried googling this and I'm still confused. What's the meaning of the word nuanced? As in "nuanced discussion" and "nuanced character"

What does nuanced mean? [ 1 Answers ]

As in "a nuanced discussion" or "nuanced character"

Meaning of complete term #include<stdio.h> means meaning of #includewith definition [ 7 Answers ]

Hello this is raman middha I have a problum in one question meaning of #include<stdio.h> Explain it

What is the meaning of kayanah chithra: ? Sanskrit words. I want english meaning [ 0 Answers ]

What is the meaning of kayanah chithra: ? How do you pronounce it?

What the meaning of bs? [ 5 Answers ]

Bs shortcut of what..

View more questions Search