Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ForMicah Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2018, 08:32 PM
    Adding a father to birth certificate
    My son's birth certificate is blank where the fathers name is supposed to go because his biological father refused him. I have a protective order in place and our divorce decree mirrors the protective order stating he has no contact with either of us. I have re-married and my son wants his step dad listed on his birth certificate and to take his last name. Do I have to go through the process of terminating the biological fathers rights and having his step dad formally adopt him or can I simply add him to the birth certificate?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 25, 2018, 08:38 PM
    You will have to go through the formal process of termination of parental rights and then adoption. If your son is an adult, however, he can just have his last name legally changed.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 25, 2018, 09:36 PM
    Your state is important. There are requirements to be met governed by state law for termination of parental rights. Involuntary or voluntary. What state are you in?

https://www.wikihow.com/Terminate-a-...arental-Rights
    ForMicah Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2018, 03:53 AM
    We are in Texas.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 26, 2018, 08:42 AM
    Is this voluntary or involuntary? Read the provided "How to" link above in my previous post, it also contains requirement that must be met under Texas state law

https://www.childwelfare.gov/pubPDFs/groundtermin.pdf, about page 57, but fair warning there are forms that have to be filed in the proper court, and it's a LOT of work and they may not even have the forms you need.

Personally in Texas, you need a lawyer to guide you through the legal process, expensive and time consuming, to terminate this fellows rights, and have your child adopted. No you cannot just add the new guy to the birth certificate. I suggest you review the link I sent and set up a consultation with a FAMILY LAW attorney.

You can Google Family Law attorney's in your zip code, and get a fairly good list to go through, or get a list of legal aid attorneys near you, or visit your local courthouse, to see what you may be up against as far as forms, filing fees, times and dates. Then you can decide how best to proceed. I can tell you also my fellow Texan, many petition forms must meet a very strict FORMATTING criteria, and are available only to a licensed attorney, depending on the county and court.

The phone numbers and addresses of the courts are available on your COUNTY /City website.

Good LUCK
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 30, 2018, 02:24 PM
    Were you married at the time the child was born ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding father to birth certificate. [ 8 Answers ]

My some was born in Arizona and soon after his mother moved and filed for custody in California. The result of which awarding me primary physical custody and joint legal custody. The problem is my son is now 15 and my name was never added to the birth certificate. Even though I have primary custody...

Adding Father to Birth Certificate [ 1 Answers ]

I need to add my son's father to his birth certificate. My son is 14 years old now and his dad pay's child support on him. We all acknowledge that this man is his biological father. There is no question about that. When I gave birth to him we weren't married and I was on Medicaid. The hospital told...

Adding father to birth certificate [ 1 Answers ]

I want to add my daughters father to the birth certificate... We were together and have been together since she was born, but when she was born things were rocky so I didn't put his name on there. We have been together for 10 yrs and we are now married. My daughter is 9yrs. Old and we want her...

Adding father's name to birth certificate [ 1 Answers ]

How do you go about putting a fathers name on a child's birth certificate after the child's been born?

Adding the father's name to a birth certificate. [ 1 Answers ]

I am Bahamian, my child was born in New York. I did not list the father's name on the child's birth certificate. He is not american. How can I list it now.

View more questions Search