Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Jan 25, 2018, 06:37 PM
    What's The Matter With Pope Francis?
    He's pretty good on a lot of things but he just doesn't get sexual abuse. He still hasn't created a transparent process that satisfies both the church and the public.

He has charged the latest victims of sexual abuse with "calumny" for accusing a bishop in Chile that the bishop covered up abuse by a priest in that diocese. The pope demanded they produce evidence. As the rest of the world knows, it's not easy to produce "evidence" in situations like these. The pope says he believes the bishop (whom he appointed).

It's fine for the pope to believe one side, but it is not fine to accuse the other side of calumny. In fact, calumny is precisely what the pope is doing by his accusations.

This is now the third pope in a row who has his head buried in the sand when it comes to sexual abuse by the clergy. Like his predecessors, he pays lip service to the problem but doesn't follow up with effective action.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 25, 2018, 11:48 PM
    I don't think they'll ever find a pope that will openly accuse any member of the church of a sexual transgression. It makes the church look bad, it makes Christianity and especially catholicism look bad. It's swept under the rug because of how it makes the church look.

In other words I'm not so sure the pope has his head buried in the sand in the way you think. I think that the sand and the hole to bury your head in, come with the package deal of being the pope. It's part of the job. You just don't talk about it, you definitely don't publicize it, and you do your best to keep up the appearances that everything is great, no scandals in their organization, just pretend it doesn't happen, deny deny deny.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2018, 05:17 AM
    Its Popes like Francis who are among the reasons I'm a Protestant. That and a lot of the other Policies the Catholic Church in America abide by (can't Comment on Canada), Which are not completely in line with those in Europe (Italy Specifically).
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2018, 03:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    In other words I'm not so sure the pope has his head buried in the sand in the way you think. I think that the sand and the hole to bury your head in, come with the package deal of being the pope. It's part of the job. You just don't talk about it, you definitely don't publicize it, and you do your best to keep up the appearances that everything is great, no scandals in their organization, just pretend it doesn't happen, deny deny deny.

No. The pope has never been guilty of "deny, deny, deny", nor has he "swept the matter under the rug". Far from it. He has been most outspoken about the scandal. My objection as posted is that there is still not a viable process to deal with the scandal that is sufficiently transparent enough for both the Church authorities and the civil authorities.
    dwashbur Posts: 1,456, Reputation: 175
    Ultra Member

Jan 27, 2018, 08:34 AM
    Not only that, but the politics of the Vatican are unbelievable. There's only a certain amount he can do without rivals undercutting him and all the rest. He's been focusing on things like social justice, and that's getting him in a lot of trouble with some people back home. He has addressed the scandals and denounced the actions, but at the moment that's about as much as he's able to do.
    Ultra Member

Jan 27, 2018, 04:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dwashbur View Post
    Not only that, but the politics of the Vatican are unbelievable. There's only a certain amount he can do without rivals undercutting him and all the rest. He's been focusing on things like social justice, and that's getting him in a lot of trouble with some people back home. He has addressed the scandals and denounced the actions, but at the moment that's about as much as he's able to do.

Good point - greenie-worthy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New Pope [ 4 Answers ]

Is he a Franciscan or a Jesuit. I know one is a teacher and the other helps the poor? Could he be both??

The Pope [ 23 Answers ]

I didn't know whether to put this in religion or politics, or health, or what. So, here goes.. From Times Online March 17, 2009 Pope says condoms are not the solution to Aids - they make it worse Pope Benedict XVI waves as he boards an Alitalia Boeing 777 at Fiumicino Airport The Pope...

The Pope [ 2 Answers ]

After getting all Pope Benedict's luggage loaded into the limo and he doesn't travel light! The driver notices that the Pope is still standing on the kerb. "Excuse me, Your Holiness," says the driver, "Would you please take your seat so we can leave?" "Well, to tell you the truth," says the...

What does the Pope know? [ 5 Answers ]

The Vatican has just made a statement that the existence of alien beings in space does not go against a belief in God... and that the alien beings are also God's creatures. Any thoughts about that? Do you suppose those aliens will have to come to Earth to be educated about their creator??

What's with the pope? [ 18 Answers ]

So, what is the deal with catholics and the pope? Why do they put such store in someone that is just a mere mortal like the rest of us?:confused:

View more questions Search