Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    INARUSH Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2007, 03:23 PM
    Home Rental - Lost TV warranty document
    Long story short...

We were renting a house (that we had an offer in on) until our current house sold in another state. Our house ended up not selling and the people whose house we were renting decided to relist the house we were living in (since we couldn't buy it). When we started the rental term, the owner gave me the warranty to the plasma TV that goes with the house. I believe I put it in the drawer with the other warrantys that are in there. But, since we moved out, he stated it is not in there. So, my question is, am I liable for a warranty agreement document for a house I was only renting? Or, was it up to the owner to maintain the document? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Chad
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 17, 2007, 04:13 PM
    If all you did was misplace the warranty document you have not assumed any legal responsibility for repairs. You never have title to that home so the TV was not your either. The owner should have keep his papers until the sale. I would not worry about this issue coming back to bite you.
    INARUSH Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2007, 04:18 PM
    ballengerb1,
    Thanks for the quick reply!! I appreciate your help!! :)

Chad
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

Apr 18, 2007, 04:25 AM
    Owner/seller should have kept he originals UNTIL you owned the home and TV. His bad
    IHELP Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2012, 10:03 AM
    There are some web based services that you can make use to save the scanned files/camera pictures of your warranties. Once such is offered by mywarranties.info and it can send you reminders before the warranties are due to expire.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Summer home, used as a rental [ 1 Answers ]

We bought a cottage in July '06, we fixed it up and enjoyed it for 2 months... after Labor Day we rented it for 3 months in 2006 for $700/month... Our full payment (monthly) is $1400. What is the best way to file this in our 2006 taxes? Also, we have it for sale now and should make around $34K...

Foreclosure on rental home [ 1 Answers ]

I live in a rental home and I received a notice from a lawyer that the house is being forclosed on and that there are 8 claims against my landlord. I just paid rent for this month and am pretty sure that the landlord is not going to give me back my deposit. I moved in 2 months ago and have paid...

Long lost warranty deed [ 9 Answers ]

My parents signed a real estate contract in NM in 1962. The warranty deed and title policy were handed to them but the deed was never recorded. They divorced and used a quitclaim deed to assign rights to my mother, which was recorded. The 1969 release from mortgage was recorded. Last week's title...

Rental sec and bill lost! [ 5 Answers ]

Was living with a girl and she moved out before the lease was up and I could not afford to keep the rental I put up the security and lost it the every thing was in my name and her name was on the lease can I take her to court for half of the bills and sec from her being that I lost it

New Home W/builder warranty [ 1 Answers ]

I just bought a newly constructed home and it has a 1 yr "builder warranty". I am slowing finding some issues that need corrected like "lack of insulation" in the attic, garage, etc to name one. The builder is reluctant to provide the correct level of insulated protection and I feel he is not in...

View more questions Search